Complete Revamp Underway

The place is pretty-much torn apart but, the heavy machines are still in place. They will remain in place too. I'm cleaning/organizing from back to front, going thru all the boxes, shelves etc. Much stuff is being pitched and a lot of stuff is getting shifted around and moved closer to their final destination. I'm in a jam because the toolboxes have not arrived so, I can't put any tools away yet.

If the toolboxes were here, I could finish the re-org work with two more 8-hour days plus one more day to rewire the ceiling lights. I'm going to break the lights up to 4 zones. One above the lathe then, above the mill, above the welding table and finally above the sawing, grinding and drill press area.

Evening coffee break time. (Did I happen to mention, I really like coffee?).

Ray

Good luck Ray one good thing about cleaning the shop your going to find things you never knew you had. LOL

Good luck Ray one good thing about cleaning the shop your going to find things you never knew you had. LOL

So far, that hasn't happened. What I am experiencing a lot of is: "What was I thinking when I decided to keep this?".

I'll tell y'a... I had a hard time convincing myself to start this project but I'm on a roll now.

Ray

Good to see you back on the forum Ray. Still think about you helping me out with the VFD for my surface grinder.
Sounds like you drink as much coffee as I do. Good luck with the house cleaning, it never works out well for me. I always talk myself out of throwing something away, just wipe off the dust and put it in another place in the shop. Oh well .....

I hate to do spring cleaning.
I always throw stuff away I thnik I'll never use and 2 weeks later I could have used it to fix something.
So then I have to go to town and buy it new to complete the job.
Wife used say I was a pack rat. But when something broke and I had the parts to fix it, she quit saying it.

Good to see you back on the forum Ray. Still think about you helping me out with the VFD for my surface grinder.
Sounds like you drink as much coffee as I do. Good luck with the house cleaning, it never works out well for me. I always talk myself out of throwing something away, just wipe off the dust and put it in another place in the shop. Oh well .....

Hi Bob... LOL: I still remember that VFD too. Pretty sure it was a Delta.

Anyhow, I'm determined to make my shop time fun and enjoyable. I'm not a cleanliness or organization freak but, there was too much clutter everywhere. I'm going to tackle 1-2 hours worth every day after work this week. Hopefully, once this is under control, I won't let it slide back into disarray.

Ray

Going through the same process right now. I will finnish reassembling a milling machine and sell it within the next month or so, then I have some storage drawers to build and some more organizing stuff to build/install, then I will be at a pausing point where I can do some other work in the shop. Good luck.

Progress report: Still going at it and keeping to my goals of 1-2 hours effort every day. Progress is incremental because I'm taking the time to go through everything and make an immediate "keep/toss" decision. The pile in the driveway is getting bigger.

The toolboxes should be here this coming Monday.

Ray

There's light at the end of the tunnel... All the major areas have been addressed and one more pass is needed to sort through a pile of stuff. After that, the big worktable will be moved a couple feet. My sons will need to help with that. The double-deck toolboxes should arrive Monday. For now, all the stuff that goes into them is piled-up in their intended location. I'm going to build a shelf into the existing table island riser. All of this should be finished today.

Tomorrow, or next week, I'll re-wire the ceiling lights into several zones . Once the tools are put into the boxes, I'll mop the floor as the grand finale. Pictures will be posted then, I'll get back to posting projects.

My goal is to turn a new page and be more careful about letting things get so messy. Also, grinding and welding will be done with greater attention to the mess it makes. I've probably wiped 50lbs of grit off everything in the last week.

Ray

It really isn't that hard to keep a shop or work space clean if when the job your doing is complete just clean up after yourself right away. This is how I keep up to my messes when doing something in the shop and has always worked out just don't leave the miss for the next day or so because than it will not get done. Before you know it you've done a bunch of projects and the miss keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Good luck with the clean up and remember how hard and the time it took to clean it up after your next project is done. !!!

Back