Compound rest degree

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, I just had a quick question that I’m sure will have a multitude of different opinions but I’m trying to figure roughly a good place to position my compound for most operations. Got a few plates that need facing for one but a good place for common operations I guess is what I’m asking. Right now my compound is at 29 degrees. Thanks In advance

Wherever it is out of the way. On some lathes, if the compound is set parallel to the cross travel, it interferes with the cross-feed handle. Other than that, in some positions it can interfere with the work or chuck during some operations.

Keeping the overhang to zero makes the setup more rigid. Some people replace the compound with a simple block (plinth) when they are not needing the compound function.

My compound is set to whatever angle I used it last. Usually 29.5º.

If the compound is set parallel to the the ways, it will permit controlled and measured travel in the z direction which is useful if you don't have a DRO. If you set toe compound at 5.74º,it will allow a 10X fine feed in the z direction (.0001" for every .001" on the compound dial). If it is set 84.26º, you will get that 10X fine feed in the x direction. Keep in mind that this causes travel in the perpendicular direction though, so its not an ideal solution but it's handy if you're trying to get an interference fit for a bearing, for instance.

Hello all, I just had a quick question that I’m sure will have a multitude of different opinions but I’m trying to figure roughly a good place to position my compound for most operations. Got a few plates that need facing for one but a good place for common operations I guess is what I’m asking. Right now my compound is at 29 degrees. Thanks In advance
45 degree angle works for me.

For threading, I have always used 30degrees, I was taught it in high school and during apprenticeship and subsequent journeyman status, all the journeymen in the shop did likewise; all it takes to cleanup the backside of the thread is putting a slight drag on the carriage handwheel for the final spring cut; at age 79, I am not about to change my ways. The German guys in the shop threaded with the compound parallel to the ways, so much crossfeed infeed and so much feed on the compound for each cut

Mine is set at whatever it was the last time it was needed, generally 45 degrees to keep it out of the way of the tailstock and the cross feed (an easy set up for doing chamfers etc).

Back