Compressed Air For Chip Removal

Most shops use compressed air to clean the mill table. Use a safety nozzle so chips don't fly and hit someone in the face. If you have a wet/dry vac suck up as much as you can. I have used both as well as a dust pan and small brush. Make a T slot cleaner out of sheet steel to help speed up cleanup.

When I'm in a hurry (or long runs of parts and clearing the bed of the vise) I'll use air, but only about 10 PSI to barely brush them off the machine; then sweep the up later. If I have time I use a vacuum or a brush and pan.

Does anyone have problems with the cutting oil on the chips being vacuumed up, eventually saturating the paper filter in the shop vac ? JR49

Not really, I have a foam pre-filter over my paper filter, and have never had a problem. The oil pretty much drops out before it gets to the filter. The worst clogger is fine saw dust.

I had problems with long strings of aluminum swarf clogging the hose of my first Shopvac. It used a small 1-1/4" hose. I moved to a full size vac with a larger hose and it is no longer a problem.

Does anyone have problems with the cutting oil on the chips being vacuumed up, eventually saturating the paper filter in the shop vac ? JR49
I only use my shop vac when using carbide (no oil). I only use air for clearing chips out the spindle and bored holes. The goopy oil soaked swarf gets cleaned up with a hand brush and paper towels. I also have a piece of aluminum angle I use as a squeegee to clean chips out from under the bed. My hands are a tight fit under there.
Ed P

I haven't had much oil hit the filter- the wet chips just fall to the bottom of the vacuum and I pour them out at empty-time.

Bernie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you can absolutely control (perhaps vacuum) the chips, I'd want full face shield, at least. And the clean up crew won't thank you.

I wasn't even using compressed air, and once got a tiny chip in my eye! Ouch! ER Time, not much problem but medicated eyedrops. I would NOT want that to happen again.

I would consider compressed air, at low pressure, after I vacuumed. I ran the hose for a vac over to my machine, and I vac them as they are made. Foot switch for the vacuum on the floor. This is the easiest to not even have to clean up later! Especially with cast iron.

Bernie

Yeah, Bernie. Eyes just seem to be easy targets for everything. Hence, the face-shield/safety glasses we all use. Or at least we say so.
I don't use compressed air, but a full-size shop vac. I've been tempted to use air, but my lathe sits 24" from the wife's car.

I work in a manufacturing plant and was once the safety officer at another location. OSHA mandates air blow-off nozzles have less than 30 PSI delivered pressure. For most of what we're talking, I think even that's too high.

Yes! I forgot to mention that I got that chip in my eye WITH real "safety glasses" on. Not full shielded goggles, but actual safety glasses. The chip fell out of my eyebrow or hair straight down behind the glasses.

I am only saying that I wasn't even using compressed air and got chips on me, I can only imagine if I was blowing them around!

Bernie

Back