Confessions From A Tool Junkie...i had to say no to a tool, and i feel remorse and shame....

A sorage place like "A Spare Closet" and a gas powered generator and you would be in bussiness! Belive me Iv thought about it before.

Tool junkie is a good disease and it is hard to say no to a new tool. I was at an auction many years ago when a gear shaper went up for sale. No one would bid so I thought I would bid two dollars. I bought the machine. Next came the thought was moving the machine (it didn't appear too Heavy untill a fork lift would not move it).. In a somewhat panic, I knew a machine dealer and contacted him to see if he needed a gear shaper. I made a trade for a small dividing head and he moved the machine. The gear shaper would have been nice but what was I thinking!

I have the disease, it started after I retired. I was going to try model railroad, until I was given a chance to go to school,( retraining). I picked machine a tooling school, this was a year and half or ago. Now after a 10 in atlas lathe, heavy 9 south bend lathe, Carroll Jamieson 1906 lathe, ru fong bench top mill, fox 1915 milling machine, rhodes metal shaper 3 1/2 in, and I have no ideal of tooling I have gotten. Yes I need help baddy, but for some reason I feel really happy. Is it the hunt or the find? Chester

A sorage place like "A Spare Closet" and a gas powered generator and you would be in bussiness! Belive me Iv thought about it before.

Your on the right track, they are cheap I bought a 35' trailer 100 bucks and a 50' Fruehoff 900 bucks with skylights. Dont take long to fill em up.
Im not sure about some area's, but if you leave the wheels on you dont get taxed for it. They make a hell of a shop for cheap and cheap to heat.
I sawzalled a couple of home depot windows / hole for an A/C and wife bullit proof!!!!

... Feast your eyes on this:

0000229239.jpg

Ray,

Just so happens I've put my hands on that Sheldon turret lathe about ten years ago at N & R Sales down here in my neck of the woods.

Amazing how a machinery dealer will "dress up" a machine to make it look good. I looked at it long before he repainted it. My advice is on this machine is keep on looking. This one has been run down into the ground! Bed has about 1/32" wear on it! And it's a harden bed. Cross slide just as bad. I can go on, but you know where I'm coming from.

Back at the first of the year, I passed on a 17" Sheldon down here for $700. Had no room for it. Now I wished I had ran after it! I could have stuffed it in the living room.:biggrin:

I saw a great deal on an Atlas TH42 with a rare Atlas made cabinet type bench on CL that I had to have! I live in a townhouse and it is presently sitting in my bedroom until my granddaughter moves out of the basement. I have even started to take it apart to refurbish. Where there is a will, there is a way.

What's wrong with buying tools/machines as an investment. If you find a great deal, why not buy it then sell
it?

This thought of "not buying a tool" is so foreign and shameful You have given Me the shakes.(Even through the monitor.) I don't know what would have happened if I would have been there in person. The only antidote seems to be a batch of new iron given intravenously.:nervous::nervous:

Always frustrating when your tempted by things that are totaly amazing but impractical(or just impossible to fit).

Not as bad as the £35 watch maker lathe me and my brother forgot to bid on(ebay) we decide that it was obviously radio active and would have been a very bad thing to have, just keep saying it , ahhhh.

:)

Stuart

p.s. I have a 1920's milling machine that's in the(slow) process of being referb'd, I've managed to get it striped primed and painted. (with a bit of help) but as an impulse purchase, yeah , hummm. It only took a week to organize getting it into the basement, you don't know how much attention 500kg of cast iron attracts when it's chained to your railing's in my area :)

Back