Confessions of a deburring butcher

We were taught to keep oil well away from the files as they then skid and clog up, especially on brass. They are always sold completely dry with no oil on them for this reason.
A lightly oiled file cuts fine. Try it. It doesn't clog up any more than a dry file either. The m1 oil dries to a very thin coating.

I watched a video from the 50's on file work yesterday and they mentioned oil or chalk to avoid clogging. I'm starting to think the dry file thing is a myth. I mentioned the dry file thing on Facebook manual machinist and half of those guys run oiled files.

Oil is necessary coming out of the vinegar and water rinsing. I see zero reason to over complicate things to avoid oil to stop the reaction. I blow 99% of it off after it's been soaked.

Eta: the video mentioned light mineral oil. Kerosene, or chalk.

A lightly oiled file cuts fine. Try it. It doesn't clog up any more than a dry file either. The m1 oil dries to a very thin coating.

I watched a video from the 50's on file work yesterday and they mentioned oil or chalk to avoid clogging. I'm starting to think the dry file thing is a myth. I mentioned the dry file thing on Facebook manual machinist and half of those guys run oiled files.

Oil is necessary coming out of the vinegar and water rinsing. I see zero reason to over complicate things to avoid oil to stop the reaction. I blow 99% of it off after it's been soaked.

Eta: the video mentioned light mineral oil. Kerosene, or chalk.
Facebook 1 - old school college 0

I thought it wise to ask one of the worlds premier file manufacturers for their opinion.

Reply from Vallorbe technical department today.

Dear Sir, Good Morning,

Thank you for your message and request.
It is better not to actually oil and to leave them dry.
We remain at your entire disposal for any further information you may need,

Have a beautiful day!

With my kind regards,

I thought it wise to ask one of the worlds premier file manufacturers for their opinion.

Reply from Vallorbe technical department today.

Dear Sir, Good Morning,

Thank you for your message and request.
It is better not to actually oil and to leave them dry.
We remain at your entire disposal for any further information you may need,

Have a beautiful day!

With my kind regards,
Oil a Vallorbe file and take a cut and get back to me. I know what the current "wisdom" is. The current wisdom is often bs.

You took exception because i used light oil to stop the flash rusting process after soaking in vinegar. Light oil that is easily removed. Oil that isn't really hurting anything on the $1 used file I'm reclaiming. Now you just want to argue without adding anything to the conversation.

Oil a Vallorbe file and take a cut and get back to me. I know what the current "wisdom" is. The current wisdom is often bs.

You took exception because i used light oil to stop the flash rusting process after soaking in vinegar. Light oil that is easily removed. Oil that isn't really hurting anything on the $1 used file I'm reclaiming. Now you just want to argue without adding anything to the conversation.
I did not take exception. I simply believe that the correct manufacturers information should be shown here for the members to choose.
Vallorbe is the highest resource I can refer to. If you don't like what they recommend that's up to you. I would not call their advice BS though.

Back