Confessions of a deburring butcher

Can anyone tell me what this file was used for? Looks to be near 90⁰ v on both edges.

20230507_082832.jpg

20230507_082828.jpg

I thought it was pretty unusual so I bought it with 5 others for $8. All turned out to be near perfect after clean up.

Can anyone tell me what this file was used for? Looks to be near 90⁰ v on both edges.
I suspect one specifically cut for working brass. I checked through a copy of an old Nicholson publication I have and they show one similar with what they call “a short upcut” in that the teeth are cut at a more shallow angle. See here…
1683485818733.png

This is a great little book, by the way, for anyone who loves knowing the why’s and how’s of the tools we use. Can’t remember where I sourced it but you may be able to track it down. If not let me know and we’ll figure something out.

-frank

1683486108554.png

I suspect one specifically cut for working brass. I checked through a copy of an old Nicholson publication I have and they show one similar with what they call “a short upcut” in that the teeth are cut at a more shallow angle. See here…
View attachment 447089

This is a great little book, by the way, for anyone who loves knowing the why’s and how’s of the tools we use. Can’t remember where I sourced it but you may be able to track it down. If not let me know and we’ll figure something out.

-frank

View attachment 447090
I'm refering to the design, not the teeth angle, which is skewed in the picture. The teeth angle is pretty standard.

We were taught to keep oil well away from the files as they then skid and clog up, especially on brass. They are always sold completely dry with no oil on them for this reason.

Back