Confessions of a deburring butcher

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
This thread is specifically about using files for deburring. I'm aware of other methods. I use many methods but I'd like to discuss hand files in this thread.

I admit that while deburring milled parts is important, I never really cared about how the result looked until the last few years. My mentor has never been concerned about careful deburring and I didn't stress about it either.

Now I want to improve because I feel that properly done deburring simply looks more professional. I cringe looking at some of the stuff I have made over the years that I butchered with a big coarse file without much thought. My work communicates to potential customers and I want it to say good things.

I do okay with a big file cutting along the edge of a longer part slightly off parallel along a long edge. Nice finishes aren't too hard. It's the nooks and crannies that require finesse where you cannot file along the edge as easily. Most of my standard files are quality USA or European made.

This led me to look into learning the different cuts of files along with looking into quality needle files. I am really learning a lot. The needle files I looked at are commonly between #00 and #6 cut.

Playing with a few files I already have from the flea market I am finding that I prefer #0 to #4 for my kind of deburring of milled parts.

These are some of my flea market files ranging from #00 to #4 with most of the die makers files being #0 cut. The bottom is a Swiss Vallorbe #0 crossing needle file I just received from Ebay. The dark handle file is a #4 safe edge.

20230420_172954.jpg

I didn't show the few finer standard type files I have that will factor into my future deburring as I work to do a more professional job.

I've got a Grobet Vallorbe 12 pc set coming in #2 cut and I'm pretty excited to play with them. I bought a 10 pcs lot of Baiter Crossing files in #0 cut. I have 3 pcs of Vallorbe barrette files in #4 on the way. I also have some Vallorbe Equalling files coming in #4 cut. I might grab some half round files in #4 cut to try out. The Baiter files I just received are amazing quality.

What is your favorite cuts for delicate deburring? Favorite types of files?

I've watched several YouTube videos on deburring. Stefan Gotteswinter is very impressive in this regard.

Last edited:
It's a hook-shaped gadget with a handle. Not sure if they are even still being made.

Looks like they might be out of business: Probably removes more material than you had in mind

As I used to tell my employees,
"It takes a person with knowledge, skills and precision measuring equipment to tell if a part is right,
the kid who sweeps the floor can tell if it looks like sh*t."

Deburring should be done with as much care and precision as is required to make the part.

It's a hook-shaped gadget with a handle. Not sure if they are even still being made.

Looks like they might be out of business: Probably removes more material than you had in mind

That company might be out of business, but a search for "deburring tool" will find you similar products from a variety of manufacturers. Noga makes a decent 4-in-1 set.

That company might be out of business, but a search for "deburring tool" will find you similar products from a variety of manufacturers. Noga makes a decent 4-in-1 set.
I have several deburring tools like the one mentioned.

I tried my best to start a thread specifically about hand files and why I'm looking into the subject but I really don't think most folks read past the thread title.

The first few sentences specifically spell out the topic of the thread.

:oops:

Back