Confused with spindle specs

Well its not a MT5. Bought one and it's too small. Back to the drawing board.
Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Peter, which was too small, the sleeve or the internal taper. It is normal for a sleeve to stick out a bit from the spindle. Or did the MT5 sleeve go too far into the spindle?

Based on calculation, a good portion of an MT5 sleeve should fit in the spindle but with some sticking out.

Peter, which was too small, the sleeve or the internal taper. It is normal for a sleeve to stick out a bit from the spindle. Or did the MT5 sleeve go too far into the spindle?

Based on calculation, a good portion of an MT5 sleeve should fit in the spindle but with some sticking out.
Guess I should have been a little more clear. The MT5 sleeve (OD) was too small.
The largest OD of an MT5 (from Google) is approx. 44.4 mm, but the smallest ID of the nose taper is approx. 45.45 mm. or about 1 mm too big
The MT5 can be pushed all the way into the spindle bore.

google show morse taper as about 1.5 deg from center so angle is close.
Size is between a 5 and 6 morse.
Yeah, another commenter said his was a 5 1/2 Morse Taper.
Oh brother...Google doesn't know MT 5 1/2... so I can't (so far) find one.

I am not familiar with a taper like that. Could it simply be a funnel for inserting long work into the spindle bore?
If the diameter of 43.13 is larger than the bore of the spindle then the taper would prevent hangups when inserting work through the spindle. My D1-4 spindle bore is stepped instead of having a taper and work has to be inserted carefully so it does not bump on a shoulder.
Yeah, where my spindle nose meets the spindle bore, there's a small step there too.

My calculator says that 1 degree, 30 minute, and 3 seconds is equal to 1.5000833 degrees in decimal.

-brino

google show morse taper as about 1.5 deg from center so angle is close.
Size is between a 5 and 6 morse.
I noticed that some MT specs have slightly different taper angles.
Wiki shows a MT5 as 1°30'26". Real close to what my manual specs. Thus I'm assuming mine is a Morse, but bigger than a 5 and smaller than a 6.
Geeze! :)

Guess I should have been a little more clear. The MT5 sleeve (OD) was too small.
The largest OD of an MT5 (from Google) is approx. 44.4 mm, but the smallest ID of the nose taper is approx. 45.45 mm. or about 1 mm too big. The MT5 can be pushed all the way into the spindle bore.

I'm confused because the drawing in post 16 shows the largest end of the taper to be 43.13 which converts to 1.698". So an MT5 taper that goes from 1.748 to 1.475 over 5.19'' should not pass through that spindle taper. The MT5 sleeve should bottom at roughly 80% of contact in the taper.

If we disregard the drawing and base our calculations on your measurements (the preferred approach :)) then one option would be to buy an MT3 solid socket and turn the outside to suit your spindle.
For example:

Last edited:
Yeah, another commenter said his was a 5 1/2 Morse Taper.
Oh brother...Google doesn't know MT 5 1/2... so I can't (so far) find one.

You can get one from Precision Machine. Tell them its for a PM1440GT spindle. I don't know if they would ship to Thailand.

This is what I found..
.so far
Looks rough so will continue fishing..
edced07ba7e551b6b1c6225c443e2c24.jpg
fe7ed90788b740ce63dfc0b3491511f6.jpg

Back