confused

dirty tools

Active User
Registered
I am confused on powering my ENCO 92059 mill
the current motor is 3 phase 220 vac.
I have single phase 220 vac. 30 amp available.
I am at lost on repowering
(1) new motor
(2) phase convertor
or (3) VFD

I have very limited funds and a wife that monitors my spending (retired accountant).
any suggestions ?:whiteflag:

no confusion as far as im concerned. first, get a job she don't know about, then buy a vfd. you will be happy.
even the fairly cheap ones seem to do the job.
that's just my humble opinion.

If you already have the 220 single phase available that is what I would go with. It should do just fine. I bought a Grizzly motor (1HP0 for my Clausing 8520 for $156.00. Not sorry at all.

"Billy G"

How many horsepower is the motor?

A VFD cost roughly $200 and you will have variable speed which is very nice to have.

A new motor will cost $200-300 (depending on size).

An RPC will cost $500-700 (unless you have the spare parts to make one but, nothing is ever that easy or cheap).

If this is a hobby for you and have a stable roof over your head and meals at dinner time, don't cost-justify your purchases.

Ray

Gather your research, then ask your wife for her opinion. A cost/benefit analysis may work for you.

I prefer the VFD. Get one a bit bigger than you motor rating. It is possible to run more than one machine off one VFD - just not at the same time.

I got a single-phase motor for my Victoria mill to replace the 440 volt one that it came with. Cost a few bucks more than the mill. Be aware that a single-phase could be physically larger than a 3-phase of the same HP. Make sure it will fit, if you're going that route.

I will second (third) the VFD option. I am guessing your machine is running about a 1.5hp motor like mine? Installation of a VFD is fairly straightforward, and variable speed is nice. I have a hitachi WJ200-015SF, and I have been happy with it. Lots of folks also seem to like the TECO drives, and I think they go for a bit less.

Another VFD vote here if the motor is under 3HP...buy once/cry once. Even the Chicom ones sold on eBay seems to hold up well-after you get them programmed.

Another VFD vote. 3 Phase motors are simple, about the only thing that goes wrong is bearings and they are typically easy to replace. The VFD will cost about the same as a new motor and you will have variable speed and smoother running than a single phase motor. Personally I like the Teco drives but not the FM50 so much, it's a bit dated. The Teco JNEV drives are significantly better than the FM50 and only a little more expensive. The Teco N3 (7300) are also very nice but probably overkill. I have one of the Ebay Huanyang VFD's on a 6" belt sander it's functional but I won't buy another, it's a bit too cheaped out for me, I wish I had spent the extra money for a Teco JNEV.

Thanks every one
I am looking at a VFD that cost about $130 for a 2hp motor

Back