confused

It doesn't take 3hp to run an unloaded motor.

You Sir are very correct.

My point is why pay to have any motor run besides the one that runs the machine you are using. Just money down a rat hole. Any money saved by installing RPC equipment for low HP applications is quickly spent in power bills. Besides the maintenance, noise, and upkeep factor.

A VFD will cure the problem and they are following the path of all electronics, and getting less expensive all the time.

I tried the Phase Adder option when I was first starting to save $120 on a drill installation. Out of frustration I quickly replaced it with a VFD.

Get this part. After having troubles the manufacturer could not understand, explain, or fix, I said I wanted to return it. His answer "WE DON'T ACCEPT RETURNS ON USED ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS". Protects himself pretty well doesn't he? To protect myself and others from further temptation I threw it in the s$$$ can.

You Sir are very correct.

My point is why pay to have any motor run besides the one that runs the machine you are using. Just money down a rat hole. Any money saved by installing RPC equipment for low HP applications is quickly spent in power bills. Besides the maintenance, noise, and upkeep factor.......

If it was me, i would buy a VFD as well.

But I think an unloaded 2 or 3hp 3ph motor will probably draw at most 60 watts or so.

A VFD will use some power as well, so I don't know if the rotary phase converter will really cost that much in electrical power.

I have a VFD on my mill and been running it for nearly 8 years now. Best investment I've ever made. Power consumption is neglectable in comparison with the rest of the house. The light bulb in my son's room burns more electricity that the total of all of the VFD's I have in use today in the shop!

Back