Considering A Career Move To Machinist Apprentice

As others have told you, You may not get rich as a machinist but you can make a decent living.
The only thing I can say is this. If machining makes you happy then go for it. Working at something that doesn't make you happy only becomes a chore and you will eventually hate going to work every day.

Congrats! Glad things are working out for you. I'm currently waiting for a class date. Books purchased. Tools rounded up. Work schedule changed. Letter from school in hand. All systems go. We seem to still be traveling the same path. Hopefully good things are around the bend for us both. Keep us posted.

It's one thing to write about things that happened in the past, quite another to write about them as they are happening to you

You are spot on there Francist- When I started this search I found a ton of useless info and a lot of statistics- but nothing about the personal experience of becoming/being or growing as a machinist. Thus the "blog" idea was hatched... we shall see where it leads. Stay Tuned! HA!

As others have told you, You may not get rich as a machinist but you can make a decent living.
The only thing I can say is this. If machining makes you happy then go for it

Thank you Bill- I shall- I am looking forward to not only working but the learning as well- Machining plays into virtually all my hobbies and side interests- so I am looking at it as a way to make things "click" and work for me I otherwise would not have the opportunity to do in a home shop setting only.

waiting for a class date. Books purchased. Tools rounded up

CG- you need to do your apprenticeship as a blog as well- we could guest write for each other! HA! I am interested to see what your curriculum will be like versus mine as well- probably some basic differences- but what those are we will see!
-I'm interested in the tools list you were given also- with my education being on a DOD Base I don't think I will have many take home assignments or self-bought tools (but I'm not even there yet- so have NO idea).

One thing to remember in machine work: As long as shop safety is observed, anything goes, there is no right way to get the job done as long as it gets done and the end result is satisfactory. You have to be able to hang on to the work, reach it with the tool bit, and be able to measure the result. That's really all there is to it.
Excellent reply.

That is all there is to it really, make it happen in a reasonable time with an acceptable part when finished.
Through experience you will learn what works well and what does not, school will not teach you this, in actual practice being adaptable and understanding the underlying principles of the work will be more beneficial.
Having worked in the business for 25+ years there appears to be few younger people that see this path as a viable way to make a living, this is a good thing for myself and the few that may choose such a vocation.

Good luck

Back