Contemplating My First Mini Metal Lathe Purchase

The only thing that "bothers" me about the Sherline is the 0MT tailstock and possibly not having much weight to it.

What about the 0 MT bothers you? It is adequate for the size of the lathe and works well. As for the weight of the lathe, it is very light; you can pick the whole thing up with one hand. However, when mounted to a base and in actual use the lathe doesn't move around.

The last time I looked, Taig did not have a screw cutting attachment so threads must be cut with dies. This is a deal breaker for me. Sherline sells a threading attachment that will cut more threads than just about any lathe I know of and it works really well. This is an M8 thread single pointed in 1144 Stressproof steel cut on a Sherline lathe.

leadscrew.jpg

I'm not a CNC guy so I cannot speak from personal experience but I can tell you that I know how my lathe feels and sounds when it is cutting well, and I know exactly what to do when something goes wrong. I know how to adjust feed on the fly to get the cut I need or how to alter depths of cut when the books and calculations are wrong. Count me amongst the dinosaurs but if I were learning to cut metal I would steer clear of CNC until I learned what I was doing.

That the 0MT is not common or may be too light. However, those are amazing threads!

The 0MT is fine for the size of the lathe. I have drilled a 1/2" hole in steel using a chuck in the tailstock so I wouldn't let it concern you too much. You are right, though, that it is not common. You will have to either use Sherline's stuff or make your own tapers, which is not a big deal to do.

And yes, the Sherline cuts nice threads.

I am close to narrowing it down to the Precision Matthews or the LMS HighTorque. I have heard (from a non-member) not to get hung-up on not having the power cross feed. The same person who owns the LMS HighTorque owned the Jet 920 (and regrets selling it).

Here is an excerpt from my first post:

I am a penturner, but want to learn how to make small parts for pen turning as well as make pens out of metal. Basically, I just like making things.

I am looking at Sieg, Taig, and Sherline. I am thoroughly confused, but enjoying the learning process. I can't see my needs beyond drilling a depth more than 6 inches, cutting threads more than 3/4 inches around (in diameter) or using stock more than 1 inch in diameter or square. Anyway, any advice, recommendations, etc. are all welcome. I am sure that their are thousands of great, but differing opinions, and I will respect them all.

Any thoughts on the text in red above?

Thank you all again?

Power cross feed is nice to have but you'll use it mainly for facing or parting and neither one is a big deal to do manually. I would go for the lathe that has the features you need while also bearing in mind that Matt of PM has a stellar reputation for support after the sale.

Well, spoke to 3 owners/distributors and exchanged emails with the other - all nice folks. I can toss a coin and buy the PM or Seig 5200. I am leaning toward the 5200 because I think it will be a decent first lathe given its size. I am going to see if I can take an adult ed course somewhere. I attended parochial school for 16 years; the closest thing to a shop class was watching the janitor polishes the floors after class. :)

You might want to wait until you've had a few classes before deciding which lathe to buy. What you learn in those classes may sway your opinion. I think it's a great idea to take the classes.

Steve Shannon

Looking for some now. I have plenty of time and maybe one (of the lathes will go on sale in the meantime). Thanks for all the advice and guidance folks!

Back