Continuing Work on SB 10L Headstock?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
I have a couple questions.

1- the extended gear came off easy, went on easy. I have to take it off a bit to adjust it again.
It isn't really tight since I filed and polished the spindle.
Is it now too loose? Anything I should do? (i.e. threadlock on spindle?)

2- how should I next proceed to work on the headstock now that the extended handlever closer gear is on?

View attachment 33874I took a photo of the spindle and gears from above (attached).

Thank you for your help.

Nelson

I have the book, but haven't read it yet. I need the kit.

I'm also worried.
I filed the burrs on the spindle and polished them. I put the gear on before the take up nut, had to remove it, tried to remove it improperly and scarred the side of the gear, then replaced it too deep. The gear fits not loose, but no longer real tight. They don't call me AllThumbz for nothing. So now this all worries me, and I wonder what I do next-work on the bushings, the shims, what?

Nelson

Tony when i mess up like that now and then i use emory cloth to dress up my nicks and scratches cause sometimes a file will take to much off and i keep a bunch of oillite bronze bushings handy, they are oil inpregnated bushings and on these older lathes they are a must, i replaced 16 on my sheldon, all my gears have new bushings now even my 1946 ge electric motor that runs it, just take your time and enjoy the rebuild when it get to the point of being a job step back for a bit have a pop listen to some music relax and go at it again:biggrin:Mac

Mac,
I believe you're talking with Nelson, not me.

Nelson,
it isn't likely you did damage to your spindle, unless you really were aggressive with your deburring. I would not put anything to lock it on until I was absolutely certain I was finished taking it off. Then I wouldn't use any permanent locking compound. There are some that bond well, but are removable. Some require heat to break the bond.

Hi Nelson

Regarding the fit of the gear on the shaft you has polished down, just how loose is it? Is it measurable.? As Tony has allready mentioned, your best not to put anything on it , till your done with removing it. There are bearing retainer products that would hold it good and tight, But it could make it a horror show getting it back off in the future. If the shaft has been polished down a measurable amount, then there maybe no choice but seek out a bearing retainer of sorts, Possibly contact Loc-tite, permatex, or try google to search for a hardening type of compound, but a type that will be able to be removed later. You would need to talk to a rep from one of these companys, and tell them exactly what your application is. If this gear is indeed loose fit now, your going to need a product that doesnt turn to powder after applying it.
I would have to think, a good retainer compound will do the job, but might be hell removing the gear later. You might plan for a removal at a later date now. Even if you must make up a custom [puller to do so.

Good Luck

Paul

I bought the machine several years ago from a machine dealer Doug Baker US Machine Works in Michigan.
Due to ineptity and run-ins with people when I went to get help on some venues, I got discouraged and gave up,
and nothing got done.

Recently, I began looking to try to fix this 10L up. It is a 1978 model, but looks like it was run hard. Came from a shop
run by two guys that was going out of business before I bought it from Doug for $1500 with no tooling. It had a handwheel closer
(was not a toolroom lathe), but I asked him to switch the handlever closer from another 10L he had and he did. The spindle gear
needed to be changed to the extended one. I smashed the shorter gear off with a hammer and screwdriver, lacking a puller. Realizing
how stupid I was, scarring the spindle and messing up the gear by doing this without the right tool, I let it sit for years.

Recently, after running this forum a year, I decided to pass the reins to someone so I could work on my own machines.
I decided to get the extended gear on. You guys know the rest. I need to remove it again to put it on so that it lines up evenly with the gears.
It isn't tight-tight, but I think it is tight enough on the key to be ok. I noticed the largest gear (bull gear?) has a projection that sticks out
of the side and it is bashed up pretty good. I can take a photo or two. What is that, and what do I do to fix it or replace it?

That's my current situation, and I would appreciate any help in getting this thing back together.

Nelson

Nelson

If its just a slight bit loose, you can still tighten it up. I had a guy bring me a pulley from a very old air compresser, He had done the same thing, but he sanded the shaft down, apparently to remove the rust. None the less, I still had to deal with this.

What I did was this.
I took a piece of key way stock and shaved ot down enough to fit inside the pulley. It took a bit of futzin around but I needed to have the ID of the bore smooth, with out the keyed slot. Here,s why. Next I went through my collection of kurls. I chose a fine pitch knurl, and grabbed a piece out of the scrap bin, and turned it down just a tad bit smaller than the OD of the knurl. I drilled and threaded the end of this shaft, and mounted the kurl.

With this rigged up kurling wheel, I could reach into the bore of this pulley, and with the single knurling wheel, put enough of a pattern on it to tighten up this pulley to fit snug on the shaft. It did take multiple trys, and various amounts of pressure to get this right, but there wasnt to many cheap options available for this guy. This took a loose pulley, and finished gave a snug fit as a end result.
You need your gear to fit tighter, but Im thinking this could work for you too.

Paul

Back