Continuing Work on SB 10L Headstock?

SB 10L headstock

Caterpillar markets a product known as " retaining compound ", I don't have the part number at hand, but I believe it is made by Loc-Tite. I have used it for years with excellent results for gears, bearings, sleeves, etc. The part can still be removed easily with a puller, or a drift and hammer. Most likely you can find it under the Loc-Tite brand at a local supplier, or if there is a Cat dealer handy they will have it. Hope this helps.

I don't know if you have access to one of these, but might be able to borrow one if you have a plumber friend. A large tubing/pipe cutter like this:

You can run it lightly around the spindle a few places...4-3 I'd say, and it will raise up a small ridge either side of a groove it makes that will tighten up the fit. It would be akin to knurling in principle.

Or, if you waited until the lathe was running, you could take the gear and run a ball bearing mounted on a stiff piece of shafting at approximately a 45 degree angle and feed it fairly rapidly into the bore, and upset a little metal that way. Not unlike knurling a valve guide in an engine, as far as the effect goes.

Or, if it's really not that loose, just a bit of removable Loc-Tite. Probably what I would do.

I am pretty sure its the red lock tight that has to be heated not too much. I like it
better than the blue. I learned fast about this stuff years ago in the attempt to
replace a customers U joints on some GM vehicle when on the press it blew up and
went through the wall. Local GM lover said heat em till it drips out.This was in the 70s
I dont know if GMs still does that.

They do, as far as I know. That ring is an injected polymer that is pretty tough. You can usually spot a little button of it outside the yoke. A little heat softens it right up.

Loctite has a product specifically for gap filling. Its for use on slightly loose bearings and the like. Seems like a good fit for this issue. Not cheap but worth it. Saved a number of machines in the past using it.

I don't know if you have access to one of these, but might be able to borrow one if you have a plumber friend. A large tubing/pipe cutter like this:

You can run it lightly around the spindle a few places...4-3 I'd say, and it will raise up a small ridge either side of a groove it makes that will tighten up the fit. It would be akin to knurling in principle.

Nelson

This Idea is a goodone, I would think that it would work just fine. The tube cutter has the best chance of raise the material evenly. The retainer compound is doable, but it would depend alot on just how loose the fit is. Not saying the product wont hold. The problem I see is this gear is on a shaft that would most likely tend to drop to the 6 o clock position if loose. Its own weight would cause this.

Tonys idea of using the tube cutter to raise the metal is exelent. That method would do the job, keep the gear centred, and no loc-tite involved. The tubing cutter can be rented at the local Home Depot. If it was my machine, this idea is a winner in my eyes.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Back