[4]

Convert HF 8x12 lathe to milling machine.

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
I am thinking about mounting a 3" cross slide vice on the front (1" x 10") side of the lathe cross slide to use as a milling attachment. Has anyone done this?

Smudgemo

Active User
Registered
I just did a quick Google search for images, and yeah, looks like a lot of people have done shop-made milling attachments (I searched 7x12 figuring more hits.) Is that what you're after?

I have the store-bought version for my lathe, and while it's not terribly robust and a lot harder to use for milling than a vertical mill, there have been a few operations that I did fairly easily that I had trouble figuring out how to handle on the mill. Figure out how to include height adjustment (as opposed to a static mounted vise) if you can. I've definitely used that feature on mine.

-Ryan

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Lots of people have & it's quite common in the small hobby size lathe relm. I thought about it too when I hade the very same lathe. Gives more verstiliaty but it still very limited. Endmills don't due to well held in lathe chucks or drill chucks. I held out & got a bigger lathe & dedicated mill.

If you have the room & can swing it, get a mini mill, or something larger if possible. I'm a lathe guy & I use it more than my mill but the mill is much more useful for me. Definitely have to have both.

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
Those look like what I want. Thanks.

fgduncan

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Craftsman made a really nice milling attachment that has X, Y, Z, and R

Lathe mill.JPG

Lathe mill.JPG

Charles Spencer

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I bought one of these but never actually used it:

taig.jpg

http://www.taigtools.com/c1220.html

I basically wanted to study the design for something I was building. I think for $65 it's a pretty good item. I'll probably add it to a lathe I'm restoring.

Charles

taig.jpg

jimisbell

Active User
Registered
I bought one of these but never actually used it: I basically wanted to study the design for something I was building. I think for $65 it's a pretty good item. I'll probably add it to a lathe I'm restoring.
Charles

That whole thing for $65 seems like a bargain! But it looks too small for an 8x12 unless that printing is in a really large font.

Charles Spencer

Active User
That whole thing for $65 seems like a bargain! But it looks too small for an 8x12 unless that printing is in a really large font.
Well, it's 5 1/2" from the base to the top of the dial, 2" wide, and 3 1/2" deep if that helps.

SEK_22Hornet

Active User
Registered
That is the Taig milling attachment for their micro lathe. Little Machine Shop does sell them for use on the 7 x 10 class lathe, but I agree that it might be a little small for an 8" swing - just depends on what you are wanting to use it for. You could add a riser block to get it up to the height you need, it would just be limited on travel.

ray hampton

Active User
Registered
That is the Taig milling attachment for their micro lathe. Little Machine Shop does sell them for use on the 7 x 10 class lathe, but I agree that it might be a little small for an 8" swing - just depends on what you are wanting to use it for. You could add a riser block to get it up to the height you need, it would just be limited on travel.
how thick of a riser block do you need for this ?
can plastic be use for a riser block ?

Charles Spencer

Active User
how thick of a riser block do you need for this ?
can plastic be use for a riser block ?
I don't know about plastic, but the device is light weight.

What I would probably do is use tapped 1-2-3 blocks. That way you could mount it at various heights, viz.

Untitled-1.jpg
I just bought a set from Enco that look like they'd work. Besides it's a great price and you can use them for other purposes:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=630-4010

(All the normal disclaimers. no affiliation etc.)

Charles

Untitled-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 120

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I often use my compound slide as a vertical slide. perhaps it will serve for you also.

P1012545.JPG

Brian.

P1012545.JPG

pds65

Registered
I know this is an old thread! but rather than a new thread, as I was thinking about as Charles depicted above; 1 or 2 setup blocks (or 1 2 3's) and just using a longer toolpost stud. there is some vertical adjustment on QC tool holders, and I'd mount my piece on the chuck or faceplate, using the toolpost to hold my rotary tool flex shaft. There is also some vertical positioning to be had from a 4 jaw chuck
There many creative ways to go about milling with lathes! I just don't like the idea of taking a chance on a sketchy slide made in India, tho they are getting cheaper, $70-120 on eBay

[6]
[5] [7]