Convert Single Phase To 3 Phase

plasticracer

Registered
Registered
I purchased a Harrison m300 lathe that uses 220 3 phase power and I have 220 single phase in my shop...What is the most efficient method of supplying power....some type of inverter or should I buy a new motor thanks in advance
Wayne

I put an inverter on a 5 HP 3 phase motor for my Stephan Bader 132" sander. Inverter was US made of choice imported and domestic components. Works great.

In my opinion a Variable Frequency Drive "VFD" Is the best way to go. It will not only convert single to three phase but also allow you to vary the motors speed, electronic breaking, overload protection and other features. They are a little more complex to set up but you will find plenty of help here.

Thats a beautiful lathe I wouldn't compromise it with single phase. Get a VFD or RPC.

thanks ..............any particular brand of vfd I should look for
Wayne

Last edited:
I bought a Teco L510 for my mill. I was pleased with it so I bought three more for other machines.
The VFD works much better than the static phase converter, I had on my lathe. Static converters downgrade the motors rated horsepower by a third.

I bought a teco n5 VFD and after looking at the quick start guide(5mins) I had it hooked up and running

I still like the home made rpc rotary phase converter, I can use it on more then one Item. my mill and my large drill press just my thoughts.

Can a VFD be used on a standard 110 drill press or does it have to be 220?

Thanks,
Gary

Back