Convert Single Phase To 3 Phase

Can a VFD be used on a standard 110 drill press or does it have to be 220?

Thanks,
Gary

In general, no A single phase motor can not be used with a VFD. VFDs can only be used with a 3 phase motor. Now if your drill press is powered by a 110V, 3 phase motor, then yes it could be done. About the only place you will find 110V 3 phase motors is on aircraft.

Jim, just thinking out loud, but why couldn't you run a single phase motor off two leads of the VFD. The VFD might not like the unbalanced load, but a single phase motor works here and Europe on 50 and 60 hertz.

Greg

Theoretically you could do that. As you stated, the VFD would not like it. You could run a single phase motor on variable frequency, but you also have the centrifugal switch to deal with. Single phase VFDs do exist, but as far as I can tell only in the very low HP ranges and only for split-capacitor and shaded pole motors. I don't think they work with standard capacitor start motors. Doesn't seem very practical to me.

http://www.invertekdrives.com/variable-speed-drives/optidrive-e2-single-phase/

Wasn't thinking practical Jim, just wondering if it could be done, but your right would be over a limited range or the centrifugal switch would come into play
Thanks
Greg

Jim, just thinking out loud, but why couldn't you run a single phase motor off two leads of the VFD. The VFD might not like the unbalanced load, but a single phase motor works here and Europe on 50 and 60 hertz.

Greg
Yes, but it would only work over a narrow speed range with a capacitor-run motor and the starter circuit would cut in when you tried to slow down a capacitor-start motor. As Jim notes there are single-phase VFDs but they are for restricted applications.

I went with American rotary for my 3 phase for my mill. They were top notch.

Will the vfd work on a 575 volt as well or only on 230 volt?
Wayne
A VFD must be designed for a particular voltage. 575 volt VFDs probably exist but would be expensive. Are you in Canada? A 575 volt motor will run at reduced output on 480.

yes I am in Canada....I was told it was 220 volt but when I checked last night it was 575....I guess I should have checked before I posted so my best option now would be to go with a 230 volt single phase motor ....thanks
Wayne

Back