Converting equipment to 12vdc only

Having briefly used a generator I do like that mobility. The required "bring it along" are gasoline, oil and an extension cord, Depending on the age or mechanical condition of the generator the owners/service manual is a must also. In my world either type generator or inverter/battery assembly would be trailer (small) mounted. The hazards of storing gasoline versus dispelling hydrogen are important factors. Is it possible the generator could be parked so it could be started while still in the boat? To sum this up I would have to revert to the KISS principal that I operate under most of the time.
Have a good day
Ray

W O W !!!! Never expected such a response! Thank you all. I have the itty bitty HF generator and "their" 800 watts is real life, "maybe" 300. CHOKES! My big-assed inverter may be my problem, as it is a modified sign wave, and the Danfoss motors evidently don't like them. I may not need to worry about it as my friend says he found a small lathe (all it would take) that runs on 12v on Amazon! You have to assemble it (shades of a hundred "east to build" kids toys! Shudder). He says it does TWENTY THOUSAND RPM! NOWAY am I getting near that! IF I do it for him instead I will probably get a small generator better than the HF. Thank you all SO much for all the responses. I hadn't even looked as I didn't expect much, until David S emailed me to tell me to look! What an amzing group. Will have to lurk more often. Thanks again and God Bless

How's this for a different approach: the earliest metalworking machines were treadle driven. No rewiring required, just an exercise (pun) in creativity to adapt the lathe to footpower.

okay, since no one else said it I will........

How about a nice functional antique treadle lathe?
I hear it really motivates you to use sharp tools.

-brino

EDIT: @homebrewed posted while I was typing. Great minds think alike!

Last edited:
There are old military service trucks that have a decent size lathe mounted inside that is powered from the trucks diesel engine thru a special output on the gearbox.

Okay, curiosity is winning out. How are you going to get your lathe back to this place in the middle of nowhere? If you can get a lathe back there, you can probably get almost anything back there IMO.

It seems the originator has settled on his supply. I'm not going to argue the point.

But I do want to bring up a few points about the reduced voltage supply. First of all, 30 amps is 30 amps, regardless of voltage. For a 30 amp load, the NEC requires Nr 10 wire. However, there are some conditions, particularly that the wire is fully enclosed (as in conduit, 3 or more cunductors) and has no cooling air. If the wire is mounted outside, in open air, the current rating goes up, way up. I think turning the lathe at speed will be considerably more than 30 amps. It's just a reference point.

Now, on point; A few years ago I built an electric powered bicycle, using winch motors. Small ones, they were only rated 1 HP. In truth, I would suspect them to be somewhat smaller, say ... ... 1/2 or 3/4 HP. I run at low speed, both the motors in series. On level ground or a very gentle slope, they run 40-60 amps. For high speed, I run them in shunt (archaic for parallel) That places them both across the line, and current goes up, 80-150 amps. I also use high speed to pull hills, as power is also doubled in shunt. And this town has some hills. Nothing like San Francisco, but for an old man on a bicycle, steep enough.

The point being, they run constantly (or nearly so) at 40-65 amps. The overloads are rated at (I think) 75 amps. Since the overloads are thermal, it takes a couple of minutes for a heavier load to trip one. At that point, when it trips, I put my hand on the motor shell and it doesn't blister my hand. An old school rule of thumb I was taught in Electrician's school, way back in '69, if you can lay your hand on the motor for 30 seconds it isn't too hot. What that all comes down to is that "winch" motors, like any DC equipment, will overload but keep running with that overload if you can provide cooling. In winch service, they are grossly overloaded. To the point of 200 amps or more.

The motor wiring is Nr 8 RUH 19 strand(or is it RHU). I would rather have had Nr 6, but Nr 8 was all I had at the time. The wiring provided in the kit was Nr 10 RU. I used a 200 amp meter shunt, calibrated to the meter. The whole point being it can be done. You must use overloads, and appropriate sized motors. But, it can be done. If anyone wants more details, drop me a line. I haven't posted it here because it's an electrical stunt more than machining.

That "old military" truck simply had an output from a PTO, same as a tractor. The PTO can be used for whatever load you want to handle. For some trucks, a winch. For others, (like mine) a dump bed. Or a bucket truck. Or even a generator. On a tractor, the hydraulic pump for a bucket or back hoe.

Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
Back