copper water pipe fittings

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
anyone ever use a alternative to solder for fitting water pipes? such as "shark bite" (or anything out there); and, what are your thoughts?

"Shark-bite" fittings work but are much more expensive than regular fittings, also, I wonder about their longevity so I have only used them for quick temporary fixes. PEX pipe cheaper and somewhat easier to run than copper. They make "Shark-bite"fittings for PEX too but find even less or a reason to use them as PEX can be sealed with a common hose clamp in an emergency. All that being said, Copper isn't that hard to solder, the tools are relatively inexpensive and makes a very durable connection. PEX tools are a little more of an investment but a little easier to master.
Probably a million Youtube videos on both systems...

Compression fittings are quite common in the UK , their both good for when you need to put something in and don't wan't to use a torch or another common use is changing existing pipework where you can install them damp and theirs no issue.

Stu

I used sharkbite fittings when replacing a water heater. Simple to use and have held up for a few years now without any issues. I wouldn't do a whole house with them, mostly for cost, but for a small job they seem to be good.

For the heater, I would have needed unions and various threaded parts. The sharkbite stuff was actually a bit cheaper once I added it all up.

Having an old house I have always dreaded using sweat fittings in tight places because of the fire hazard. So its compression fittings whenever possible on old copper pipe and PEX for new lines.
I have used Shark-bite fittings in hard to reach places and like them (except for the price). The fact that they are removable would be a plus in some cases. Overall they are the easiest to install.

I removed most of the +60 year old copper that was starting to fail at the joints. I used 3/4” Pex for the cold side and tapped off with 1/2” to the individual needs. Then 1/2” for the lower requirement of hot. I used a mix of the crimp rings and Sharkbite where either space limitations for the crimp tool or future disassembly would be convenient.

Trying to push straight sections of copper through the floor joints would be near impossible so I used Pex.
BTW 3/4” Pex is very stiff compared to 1/2”!

I have used shark bite fittings, some in place for 10 years now. Most new work I do is with PEX. I'm not particularly fond of the lead free solder, never had much problem with old lead/tin but this lead free stuff seems problematic. Maybe there is some secret I haven't been clued in on.

PEX for the win. Redid my house 16 years ago and zero issues with it. No leaks, no scale buildup and no corrosion. I used the rings to clamp on the fittings. I was a cheap SOB so bought the tool you have to use wrenches on to crush them onto the pipe. It seized up after a number of fittings so I took it back and got the plier type tool that cost 4 times as much. Used it for the rest of the job and thanked myself every day for it. So much easier and saved so much time.

I have used the shark bite fittings to do small projects at work and they are still holding up fine. They are nice for being able to take them apart in a temporary situation.

I originally plumbed my house with PVC and glued joints. All work in the last several years has been PEX. One interesting advantage is that I have several rain-water collection tanks around the house and run 1" PEX above ground to the pump room. In the winter these freeze. It is Central Texas so this only happens a dozen times a year but i have NEVER had one fail due to pipe freezing. That could never have been done with Copper or PVC. BTW, I do have 1 tank that the delivery pipe is underground so I can water when it is below freezing.

Started using the "shark bite" type fittings at work, prob 20 years ago. We never had a failure even with the earlier "quest" all plastic fittings. In general, they work like compression fittings, but the spring washer and "O" ring don't loosen with time and are effective on combinations of copper, plastic, even "funny pipe" That said, I too have some uncertainty re: how long that black "rubber?" O ring can last/seal. ...but then, how long will the plastic pipes themselves last? :>)

Back