copper water pipe fittings

If you found buildup in the copper pipe I'm guessing it came from the galvanized pipe in the system. I've done a lot of water line replacement, and while very common with galv pipe, have never seen that with copper, even with really nasty well water. I prefer copper for domestic water and if done correctly will last for a very long time. Have done literally thousand of solder joints with out failure. Follow Eddy's instructions above, would add to wipe each joint with a rag to smooth the joint and remove flux while still hot to prevent corrosion. I had a friend help me do some plumbing once and every joint he did leaked, as he insisted that you didn't have to clean new copper. As for pex use brass fittings and crimp rings with the proper tool for leak free results. Mike

The copper was put in after at some point and was nearly solid with mineral deposits.

If you found buildup in the copper pipe I'm guessing it came from the galvanized pipe in the system. I've done a lot of water line replacement, and while very common with galv pipe, have never seen that with copper, even with really nasty well water. I prefer copper for domestic water and if done correctly will last for a very long time. Have done literally thousand of solder joints with out failure. Follow Eddy's instructions above, would add to wipe each joint with a rag to smooth the joint and remove flux while still hot to prevent corrosion. I had a friend help me do some plumbing once and every joint he did leaked, as he insisted that you didn't have to clean new copper. As for pex use brass fittings and crimp rings with the proper tool for leak free results. Mike
I use to wipe the joint with a leather pad or rag to clean it, while it was still hot. Until a plumber told me that wasn't a good practice with the lead free solder, as the joint could set while there was movement present and might weaken it. I don't know if that is true but I've been doing it that way since and have not had any problems. I just spray water on the joint to jock it up, wipe it with a Scotch-brite pad and then a rag to clean.
Note: I have pretty much converted to using PEX for everything except repairs on existing copper systems.

Last edited:
Have recently been using the Oetiker (?) style clamps for pex pipe.
Not that I had a problem with the copper crimp rings for pex except for getting in tight places. That crimping tool takes a lot of room.

I worked for a plumber in California during the change from lead solder to 60/40. When it comes to sweating pipe, there was a huge difference, the 60/40 seemed impossible to work with at first. But I learned how to flow it, we all learned how to. The technique is different, the heat is different, and the post-heat inflow of solder is what kept it water-tight. Little nuances, but ultimately not a deal breaker for copper pipe.

Pex is something I saw widely used overseas and was happy to see used here in the US. I dislike the stupid PEX crimp tool and its stupid price tag, so I have used shark bites with PEX with zero problems in my world. Easy peasy. The O-ring is not rubber, it is nitrile/neoprene, so it will last. My local water pressure is 80 PSI, too.

Oetiker is my favorite system, I use it wherever I can. Unfortunately, pushing that stiff polyethylene tubing over a barbed fitting does not inspire any confidence with me. Whenever I put PE over a barb, whether it's the Pex feeding my toilet, or a 3" tie-in to the fire hydrant in the street, I use a propane torch to heat and soften the plastic before pushing it over the barb, crimping it, and letting it cool. This thermoforms the barbs into the inner wall of the pipe and does not leak. They never leak, which is why the inspector doesn't like seeing you heat a water line with a torch. Anything proven to reduce headaches later is obviously forbidden in code, because people lose track of the point of what they're doing and overheat the plastic and ruin the job, and we can't have that, so it's a banned practice. Well, there are custom homes all over Lake Tahoe that don't have water leaks because that step wasn't skipped.

I've been using PEX for about 10 years now, I started with the copper bands but now use the Oetiker style, crimp rings. I have never had a leaking connection in over a thousand by now. Some of the first connections I made are in my shop and still not a drip.

Back