Could really use some help, new tapered bearings AND new spindle, still .005 off

My chuck is a Apprentace 4 way. Mounted on a 3MT arbor. The arbor is way too heavy duty to be bent......I think. I tore the chuck apart a couple weeks ago to clean it but did not help. I did however notice that the teeth were a bit dinged up so makes me wonder if this is all chuck related. I measured the insdie of the arbor and it had very little bounce. Once I mount the chuck and put in a block of wood the wood bounces all over the place. I tried shimming the chuck with paper a couple weeks ago and it did not help.

You're indicating in the wrong place. The critical surfaces are:

The flat of the flange, where the chuck mates. If not flat, the chuck will tilt.

The OD of the little 'step' on the front of the flange. This registers the chuck to the spindle's rotational axis. You also need to mike the ID of the step on the back of your chuck, and the step on the flange. I prefer a snug fit, but it is unlikely from the factory.

If the register step for your chuck is too small, you can take material off the face of the flange to give yourself more material to make a proper diameter (and axially aligned) chuck register. This is what I did on my MM 7x16.

Bill

My chuck is a Apprentace 4 way. Mounted on a 3MT arbor. The arbor is way too heavy duty to be bent......I think. I tore the chuck apart a couple weeks ago to clean it but did not help. I did however notice that the teeth were a bit dinged up so makes me wonder if this is all chuck related. I measured the insdie of the arbor and it had very little bounce. Once I mount the chuck and put in a block of wood the wood bounces all over the place. The chuck has a lifetime warranty maybe time to get a replacement and hopefully thats the issue. I tried shimming the chuck with paper a couple weeks ago and it did not help.

I looked up that chuck, I don't think you could hurt it in the way the wood came out of it. I think at this point I would take a look at the 3MT arbor, I suspect that might be the weak link. Put an indicator on all of the mating surfaces since you know that the spindle taper is good.

It may be possible to true up the arbor.

OK, some good stuff to check out. I worked on it for a bit but there are other areas I need to check. Thanks for the help.

Forgot:

Make sure that the height of the register step is less than the recess in the back of your chuck. If these two surfaces touch, alignment will be off.

Do you have a DTI for measuring the register step OD? I found it rather difficult to get a DI onto that little surface. :)

Bill

I looked up that chuck, I don't think you could hurt it in the way the wood came out of it. I think at this point I would take a look at the 3MT arbor, I suspect that might be the weak link. Put an indicator on all of the mating surfaces since you know that the spindle taper is good.

It may be possible to true up the arbor.

I measured everything, cleaned up the mating surfaces to no effect so I guess it could be the arbor. Is a lot less then a new chuck.

I measured everything, cleaned up the mating surfaces to no effect so I guess it could be the arbor. Is a lot less then a new chuck.

Is it possible to post a picture of the arbor your using just on it's own and one with it installed in the lathe, I think if people see this setup they may be able to help better (tell you exactly how to indicate) so you can track down the problem, if you remove the chuck from the arbor and it's bolted on, mark the arbor and the chuck in some way so it can go back together in the same position.
I for one misunderstood at first and thought you where using a HF 3 jaw chuck.

Edit: just to make things clearer what I'm getting at is, if the arbor did get bent (i.e. The piece of wood jammed between a jaw and the bed ways when it came out) and the arbor was soft enough to bend, and depending on how the chuck is mounted to the arbor, there my be a way to take a light truing cut on the arbor to get you back in business without spending more money.

Last edited:
Is it possible to post a picture of the arbor your using just on it's own and one with it installed in the lathe, I think if people see this setup they may be able to help better (tell you exactly how to indicate) so you can track down the problem, if you remove the chuck from the arbor and it's bolted on, mark the arbor and the chuck in some way so it can go back together in the same position.
I for one misunderstood at first and thought you where using a HF 3 jaw chuck.

Edit: just to make things clearer what I'm getting at is, if the arbor did get bent (i.e. The piece of wood jammed between a jaw and the bed ways when it came out) and the arbor was soft enough to bend, and depending on how the chuck is mounted to the arbor, there my be a way to take a light truing cut on the arbor to get you back in business without spending more money.

Thanks for all the help, thats to everyone. I ordered the adaptor. I have got to get the lathe going. I am behind 3 pipes already. I will get some pics up as if the adapter does not fix it I am not going to be happy.

Thanks for all the help, thats to everyone. I ordered the adaptor. I have got to get the lathe going. I am behind 3 pipes already. I will get some pics up as if the adapter does not fix it I am not going to be happy.

Wish you the best, some of these problems that crop up from time to time can be frustrating.

Wish you the best, some of these problems that crop up from time to time can be frustrating.

Yes, it is frustrating, espeically when you cause the mess you are in. Daddy day care today and a trip to Chuck e Cheese kept me busy........pics of the set up/unnamed (3).jpgunnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg

Back