Couldn't find a place to post this, but have a question about a tire

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Unfortunately, today I was introduced to a snow tire issue. This is what I see. I'm slowly realizing that this is probably close to a tough luck situation, but I'm wondering what the root cause is. Anyone have a guess as to the origin of this? I have a couple of ideas, but won't say them, because I want to see if folks more knowledgeable than I can identify it.
PXL_20231221_194315146.jpgPXL_20231221_194327362.jpgPXL_20231221_194357455.jpgPXL_20231221_194421254.jpgPXL_20231221_194337075.jpg
What is irritating is the tire is no longer available. And it is on a Subaru, so I have to deal with matching tread depth stuff due to the AWD. Oh, the tread is practically unworn, ie, lots of tread left.

Don't know, what caused this?

I'd guess at a pinch flat - underinflated tire hit a sharp edge (rock, curb etc) and the rim cut the sidewall. Doesn't look like a regular tear, though I suppose something could have got bent up into the tire in such a way to cut it like that.

Is there something wedged inside the tear causing it to bulge out like that?

That looks to me like textbook impact damage. That "cut" would coincide with the rubber being forcefully against the rim. The raised spot would be air in between the layers of the tire. The damage inside the tire corresponding to the part of the tire that applied pressure the visible "cut" on the outside when it all folded up. And/or damage to the cords themselves. Usually they don't go when the damage happens, but weeks or months, or if you don't drive a bunch, don't take long trips, it "could" be literally years later. Especially if the rims are dedicated. Somebody swapping that over would (hopefully) notice that before turning it loose, especially being on the "top" side when mounting/dismounting.. With a properly inflated tire it takes a "pretty noticeable event". If the tire were underinflated, just a plain old every day pothole can do that depending on the depth, angle, etc. The low profile tires don't help the situation in either case.

That looks to me like textbook impact damage. That "cut" would coincide with the rubber being forcefully against the rim. The raised spot would be air in between the layers of the tire. The damage inside the tire corresponding to the part of the tire that applied pressure the visible "cut" on the outside when it all folded up. And/or damage to the cords themselves. Usually they don't go when the damage happens, but weeks or months, or if you don't drive a bunch, don't take long trips, it "could" be literally years later. Especially if the rims are dedicated. Somebody swapping that over would (hopefully) notice that before turning it loose, especially being on the "top" side when mounting/dismounting.. With a properly inflated tire it takes a "pretty noticeable event". If the tire were underinflated, just a plain old every day pothole can do that depending on the depth, angle, etc. The low profile tires don't help the situation in either case.
These are dedicated snow tire rims - cheapest alloys I could find. At the time, I couldn't get steel rims in the right size. As far as I know they weren't underinflated, because there's TPMS on the rims, so at least they weren't grossly deflated. This is my wife's car. She brought them into the dealer to be swapped with the summers. The tires were stored in our garden shed for the summer. The dealer supposedly helped us by putting the tires in bags, which I find to be incredibly bad. It makes the tires hard to carry, and apparently it makes it hard to see if the tires are damaged. The dealer refused to install these - which I agree is correct.

As for low profile, these are 50 series, which aren't that low. All new cars seem to have lower profiles than this. I think I chose a size that had higher profile than stock for these snows.

Since this is my wife's car, I don't know what she may have hit or not. Usually she tells me if something went awry, but maybe she didn't think that particular hit was that bad. I do know she does ask me to check her tires, especially if the idiot pressure light goes off.

Haven't seen tire damage like this before. I've seen bubbles (on the parts of the tire facing towards the car centerline) but not cuts like this. Punctures, slices, and whatever, but not this.

I did end up sending the picture to Tirerack, since I bought the tires there. Wanted their opinion on root cause. Figured they've seen a few tires in their time. Me, I only worked in my grandfather's tire business for a summer.

Could just be a manufacturing defect also
I had a bubble form on a tire once and had to toss the tire
Maybe. Had bubbles before. Was a surprise to fail inspection for one, because it was facing under the the car. But you take it in stride.

AWD tire stuff is tougher, because you need to match up tire diameters to reduce wear on the differentials. Had to get Tirerack to shave a new tire to match it to the other worn tires, when a daughter ran a curb. If you can't do that, then it's time for all new tires. Tirerack won't shave used tires - no one will, because hidden debris can ruin the blades.

In a previous career, 10 years service dept at local dealership, I have not seen a pinch/snake bite that looks like that without visible mark or rim damage.
The long blister from the slice cut towards the treads, looks like a stab wound. Is there anything left behind in the cut?
Pierre

Back