Couldn't find a place to post this, but have a question about a tire

In a previous career, 10 years service dept at local dealership, I have not seen a pinch/snake bite that looks like that without visible mark or rim damage.
Pierre
That's what is puzzling me, if impact pinch, I would have expected to see paint flake or something in the zone. There's only the tiniest of marks near by in the photo.

There is no belt in the side wall but damage would look like a blister but on the running surface.
I would curious once it is unmounted what the bead and sidewall looks like on the inside.
Pierre

looks like someone stuck a knife in there. Even though it's not made anymore, someone might have that size laying around. As far as tread depth, if you really want they can shave off tread.. used to do it on race cars with street tires to get the lugs to the right size.

There is no belt in the side wall but damage would look like a blister but on the running surface.
I would curious once it is unmounted what the bead and sidewall looks like on the inside.
Pierre
At least from the photos (and my brief look at the tires outside) the bead looks ok.

I found some photos showing similar damage from impact. A cut or tear near the rim and a bulge up to the treads. Damage to the sidewall layer and the belt is broken as well.
Pierre

Attachments

• 58029569-B185-498E-B1E1-81181DEBA231.jpeg
    58029569-B185-498E-B1E1-81181DEBA231.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 10
looks like someone stuck a knife in there. Even though it's not made anymore, someone might have that size laying around. As far as tread depth, if you really want they can shave off tread.. used to do it on race cars with street tires to get the lugs to the right size.
I haven't found anyone to shave used tires. Even 40 years ago my grandfather's shop wouldn't do it for fear of ruining the tire shaving blades. New tires, of course they would do it. Tirerack shaves race tires all the time, but only new ones.

I found some photos showing similar damage from impact. A cut or tear near the rim and a bulge up to the treads. Damage to the sidewall layer and the belt is broken as well.
Pierre
Thanks for the pictures. Looks similar in nature.

It sure does. It was one of my original thoughts due to the asymmetry of the entrance cut. Wide on one side, narrow on the other, kind of like a weird knife blade. But, I didn't state it originally, because I thought there was a real possibility of another cause.

Back