Couldn't Resist Another Deal for Beefy Drill Presses, and Wondering If I Should Buy This Horizontal Metal Bender

I noticed that stuff on CL. Was in a HUGE empty building. And left behind were a few things. I asked myself, why did they leave that stuff behind? If it is good, it’s typically not left behind. Didn’t you have your warning flags going up???

I noticed that stuff on CL. Was in a HUGE empty building. And left behind were a few things. I asked myself, why did they leave that stuff behind? If it is good, it’s typically not left behind. Didn’t you have your warning flags going up???
Many times it cost more money to move some of this machinery then they are worth in the long run!

As for the drill presses I would certainly go with the 17" Delta. Even at 3/4 hp it isn't a monster as drill presses go. Several years ago I came across a 21" Jet with a 1.5 hp motor. It seemed a bit large at the time, but I find I use it on a weekly if not daily basis. The nice thing about the larger drill presses is that they have a much wider speed range. My Jet goes from 60 rpm to 2,000 rpm using a variable sheave. It's much easier to use than the standard cone pulley speed change systems, and as you noted it has a crank to raise and lower the table. For the record I have 3 drill presses in the shop and they all get used on a regular basis.

As for the Bridgeport I would also keep it. While you may not need the size and features today I think in time you'll kick yourself if you let it go. In the scheme of things Bridgeports are about the least expensive machines to tool up. There are hundreds of attachments and different tools available, and since they are so popular the prices are far more reasonable than most other styles of tooling.

The Logan being a change gear machine doesn't make it any less useful. I have a circa 1916 Seneca Falls Star lathe with the change gears. I've used it for over 20 years and never had a problem. Changing gears is a little more time consuming, but not so much so that I would consider getting rid of the machine. If you continually change machines tooling the cost becomes a consideration. It takes a while to find all the necessary accessories. Personally I believe if a machine is well setup and functions properly there's no reason to send it down the road. I've acquired several machines over the years. Some date from the early 1900's while others are only a few years old. I couldn't see disposing of any of them only to start the search and expense over again,

If you have limited space you have to be pretty vicious about what comes into it and stays. For a general all round metal working shop one mill (BP is perfect), one DP, one lathe (big as you can fit), bandsaw (horizontal or vertical), hydraulic and/ or arbor press and ideally a welder of some sort.

You don't need 2 DPs, so get the biggest and best one you can and sell any others. You don't need the Logan as the Southbend sounds like it's equivalent and has the ability to cut different threads without buying anything extra, so sell the Logan. Someone else will get great use out of it and be happy to have it. You don't really need the horizontal, but if you can squeeze it in it adds some capability that complements the BP. You really don't need that bender, so don't get it.

It's easy for this hobby to turn into the metal equivalent of collecting baseball cards. nothing wrong with that if that's what makes you happy, but you'll need to find a nice warehouse to rent if you plan on keeping it up. If you want these machines to use them to do stuff, then you have to figure out what you want to do and get the stuff that lets you do that. You clearly have the skills and contacts to do so, so make a plan and stick to it and you'll have an awesome workshop in no time.

It's kind of what I've done (just without the plan) and I now have a capable workshop that I use pretty much every day to make all sorts of things. As time goes on fewer of those things are about fixing the tools and more of them are actually useful outside of the shop. I'm at about 50:50 right now, forcast of 70:30 in about 10 years :)

Great scoring
Tell the dog to move so you can have room for your new toys

Susan, that garage is going to be really crowded with your car in there.

Hi guys, well, I thinking about giving the drill presses to my friend with the forklift who has helped me I the past with picking up machinery. I owe him a ltitle bit of money, and he told me I could take as long as I need in making payments. This way, I can get rid of what I owe at a fraction of the cost. I will still keep the little welding table they let me have for $15 though

Back