Countersinks- Single flute/Zero Flute....?

Dave, in the aircraft industry where those are mostly used, they are called micrometer countersinks, and indeed you can make high precision countersinks with them, accurate and repeatable to .001" in depth. The aircraft mechanics mostly use them for countersinking Alclad aluminum sheet for exposed flush countersunk rivet heads. I have just one of them, and it is a treasured tool. The aircraft guys also use angle air drills with a very short 1/4-20 socket and short threaded drills, countersinks, counterbores, etc. (like those at the left side of your photo) for working in the tight quarters of aircraft wings and other god awful places with poor access. I am looking for one of those air drills for a reasonable price and with a reasonably slow speed. I have lots of the 1/4" tools, and they are sold cheap on ePay, high quality, too.
No promise, but I’m pretty sure I have more than one of those pneumatic right angle drill motors. But I have not seen any of them in my piles in about the last 20 years. Please understand if I come across them, it will be a random good luck kinda find. I will let you know, don’t hold your breath. Also in my pic above, the lower right corner, that lonely part is also right angle drive for very tight places. You can see the 1/4” drive shaft. The other end has a threaded hole for those bits. In the body of the thing is the gear train…Dave

No promise, but I’m pretty sure I have more than one of those pneumatic right angle drill motors. But I have not seen any of them in my piles in about the last 20 years. Please understand if I come across them, it will be a random good luck kinda find. I will let you know, don’t hold your breath. Also in my pic above, the lower right corner, that lonely part is also right angle drive for very tight places. You can see the 1/4” drive shaft. The other end has a threaded hole for those bits. In the body of the thing is the gear train…Dave
I have not seen that style of right angle drive, Dave. What are the two tools just above it in the pic?

I suggest asking your industrial machine tool supplier. Look for tool grinding services. Looking for sharpening services includes too many knife, lawnmower and saw blade sharpening services.

Edit; ....or a quick Google gets you Superior Tool Co. Inc. in Tanawanda, NY. :)
There must be more services closer to you in Connecticut or Massachusetts.

I've looked into all of the sharpening services that I could find and not one is doing just a few tools. They cater to large companies sending in dozens of cutters., not two or three I'm afraid.

You might contact Weldon Tool Company and see if they will sharpen small quantities. I know Borite will sharpen individual boring bars for a small fee.

I didn't know that about Borite. I'm not to worried about it. I have many sharp CS's and the zero flutes can be sharpened with a dremel.
I have Borite cobalt bars which can also be hand sharpened., but good to know. I just bought two, brand new Weldons for $15.00
Can the single flutes be touched up by stoning the flat single side? I won't touch the outside.

I have not seen that style of right angle drive, Dave. What are the two tools just above it in the pic?
Those are reamers with the same threaded business end. I also have drill bits, more countersinks, end mills and toolaholic stuff of the like.

Those are reamers with the same threaded business end. I also have drill bits, more countersinks, end mills and toolaholic stuff of the like.
I have the drills, countersinks, counterbores, and I just looked and it turns out that I have two of the micrometer countersinks, one small and one large, and some of the reamers as well, they are shorter ones. So far I have not had too much use for the stuff, but I can sure see them being useful when a difficult access job comes along. Toolaholics, indeed...

I didn't know that about Borite. I'm not to worried about it. I have many sharp CS's and the zero flutes can be sharpened with a dremel.
I have Borite cobalt bars which can also be hand sharpened., but good to know. I just bought two, brand new Weldons for $15.00
Can the single flutes be touched up by stoning the flat single side? I won't touch the outside.

Borite will sharpen any of their boring bars. I think it was $6.50 per piece. Not something you would do for a cobalt bar unless you were really inexperienced or are so well heeled that you couldn't be bothered.

If the single flute cutter you have has a flat on the inner cutting edge then you can hone it sharp. If it is curved then you are better off not doing it. My MA Ford tools have a curve to them. The one I use most often has got to be more than 20 years old and is still sharp so I admit I haven't tried honing it.

Yep, one flat, single flute. My Melin 6 flute is cobalt w/Tin coating. haven't tried it yet. Zero flutes are all cobalt, so they should stay sharp for a while.
I'll contact Borite. Thanks. I'm going to test them with steel and non ferrous, one by one. Aluminum is easy, never had a problem. I've only gotten chatter with steel.
I'll slow down and feed fast.

Last edited:
Back