Couple of recent projects

Pacer

Active User
Registered
Have wanted a tool post grinder for some time but wanted something small and easily mounted, but never saw anything I liked. Over time I had printed out articles and photos of various creations of home shoppers, but again, nothing 'hit' me. One problem was a small motor that would have the 'oomph' to do this. Had tried a couple (sewing machine motor) and they were way wimpy. I also wanted it to be mountable on the QCTP, so when I built the precision drill press, the motor I found at Surplus Center was such a winner that I decided it was time to move on this project. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2519&catname=electric This little motor is a real jewel, runs on 110v and is easily made variable speed with a common dimmer switch - one minor draw back is it isnt easily reversible. On the little grinder is an old ceiling fan/light switch that I had in the junk drawer.
This is what I came up with...

2011-04-221.jpg

Next, I have been working off and on rebuilding an Emco compact 10 lathe (another Katrina victim) for some time and the micrometer dials were unreadable - plus the round hand cranks were pitiful. So, I decided to make up completely new controls - new dials and some nice ball cranks (I've always had a weak spot for balanced cranks..)

After getting that done and turning out pretty well and still having the dividing head set up, I decided to finally convert the dials on my SB lathes cross slide and compound to read in "real time" - .001 instead of the factory reading of .002

2011-04-22.jpg

I really like the grinder, One question why the drill chuck? A compression chuck would be smaller.

Paul

Your projects are a little out of my league for now. What is the trick to cutting such uniform balls in your crank handles?

One question why the drill chuck?

Really a simple answer, Paul --- It was already in my extra parts drawer ;)!! The spindle shaft is threaded so I have options.

What is the trick to cutting such uniform balls in your crank handles?

Agarret, I'll try to gather up some pics of making up the handles/balls and the tool I use in another post.

Is there any issue with hanging that much weight on the QCTP? How much is steel, and how much is aluminum?

Very nice looking, though!

Is there any issue with hanging that much weight on the QCTP? How much is steel, and how much is aluminum?

I seriously doubt it, it probably weighs only 4-5 lbs and since there is such small loads used in grinding - you can only take a thou or less - it shouldnt be a factor. Except for the two Al motor mount rings, the rest is out of scrap yard "unknonium" steel. The piece with the dovetail and the hole for the spindle is a solid 'hunk' The spindle started out as a piece of DOM tubing.

Offline wawoodman

* As a machinist, he's a damn fine carpenter.
o View Profile
o Special Millwork
o Email
o Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Couple of recent projects
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:57:51 AM »

Very nice looking, though!
Report to moderator Logged
Thanks,
No if it will fit you can hang it on Lane

[quote author=Pacer link=topic=1927.msg12592#msg12592 date=1304170643]
One question why the drill chuck?

Really a simple answer, Paul --- It was already in my extra parts drawer ;)!! The spindle shaft is threaded so I have options.

What is the trick to cutting such uniform balls in your crank handles?

Agarret, I'll try to gather up some pics of making up the handles/balls and the tool I use in another post.

[/quote]

Thanks for the answer I ordered one of the motors. Going to try my hand at building one.

Paul

I ordered a couple of the motors as well, looks like a great project.

Thanks for posting it.

-Ron

Back