Covid has hit home for me

Hospitals down in Texas are getting overwhelmed.
My son is in Dallas, Stepson is in Austin.
Austin is saying they have 10 days to go until capacity of their ICU Beds.
I can't seem to find a reports out of the D/FW Metroplex area. :concerned:

As @Barncat mentions above, other cases are taking a backseat.
What if Fates Forbid I were to have another heart attack?
What is the level of care I would receive in an ER at this time?

I had to run to Walmart to get a battery the other day, quick in and out the side door by automotive. so I had thought.
As I was finishing checkout and stuffing the receipt in my pocket this lady had walked up behind me face stuck in her phone.
I was picking the battery up off the counter and she kept creeping closer. At two feet I said something along the lines of 'six foot please!'
She looked up from her phone bewildered muttered something, turned around to back up and ran into a guy behind her.
She had a mask crammed into her purse.
Marks on the floor, signs on the doors, an associate sitting there at a table with sanitizer and towels and yet... (Can't fix stupid.)

If there is even the slightest chance of slowing this virus down by everyone wearing a mask then it is a no-brainer as Matt mentioned above.
If it will improve my odds against catching it and keeping me out of a hospital - I'm all for it.
It is not that tough to wear a mask.

I live in Florida and i'm sure you've seen reporting that our cases are growing quickly. Our family wears masks and doesn't go out much... I figure it's a small price to pay and am pretty risk averse. I also realize that many people cannot take the same steps that we can. That said, i have a few friends who have contracted it. They go from minor symptoms to hospitalization (mid-40's). Another friend is now on the recovered list, but is having respiratory and heart issues.

As we learn more, I'm wary of the long term health issues that could be associated with it.

They just profiled a young gal on ABC world news the other night. She was in her 30's I think, a runner and overall very healthy. She contracted Covid and did recover after a 2 week stint in the hospital but now she has asthma, which she did not have before. The docs think that she might have that the rest of her life.
My nephew, whom is also my God son, is getting married this Friday. We are not going because all of his friends think this Covid thing is just overblown hype or a hoax. I can't/won't take the risk.

...We are not going because all of his friends think this Covid thing is just overblown hype or a hoax. I can't/won't take the risk.
My brother is/was getting married this Fall, and acted like he had the whole virus thing figured out ("not that big a deal, easy to avoid, etc"). He finally got the message after everyone said they would not be attending. At the time, he wouldn't consider putting it off (again, because he's got it figured out), but has since postponed it. Why he was in such a hurry we don't know, but is besides the point :p

Last edited:
I am fortunate to be in a state (Nebraska) where the new cases are stable at this time and have not spiked. My wife and I also own a restaurant which has been closed for about 3 months and doing curbside for 3 weeks. Both of us are in our 60's and don't know what to do as far as reopening. Much of our business is from out of town, and we are not really amenable to take out, since it is really a steak house. There have been a total of 11 cases in our small county, and even the sheriff and emergency responders are not told who tests positive due to HIIPA rules. Many of the locals act like nothing is going on, but I wear a mask any time I am in public, and I have only been to Walmart one time since February and was super nervous that time.
Seems to me that each of us, as an individual, can only make small contributions in the effort to blunt the impact of this virus, but that it is incumbent upon each of us to make whatever effort we can in order to secure the safety of others in our society. Granted, we may have to give up some personal liberties, and maybe take actions which run contrary to our own personal beliefs, but in the end, if it saves the next 50 citizens next to us, it is worth it.

Kevin

Covid-19 is an RNA virus, so unless there is a major breakthrough in vaccine technology, any vaccine is only going to be as effective as the seasonal flu vaccine. For MOST people (those without any co-morbidity conditions) getting Covid-19 is a non-event. You probably won't even know you have it. I had it in February (before the lockdown) and wouldn't have even known it if I didn't run. During a run, it made my heart race like it wasn't getting enough oxygen (which it wasn't). It felt like it was going to burst. The doctor told me that Covid-19 affects the lungs ability to absorb oxygen, which is why I felt like I couldn't breath. It took until May for my lungs to finally start repairing the damage. I didn't stop running - I felt fine, I just didn't "push thru the pain", but stopped and walked until my O2 saturation recovered enough to continue.

Kevin, those last two sentences were spot on and express the situation eloquently. :encourage:
Permission to quote you Sir?

I am fortunate to be in a state (Nebraska) where the new cases are stable at this time and have not spiked. My wife and I also own a restaurant which has been closed for about 3 months and doing curbside for 3 weeks. Both of us are in our 60's and don't know what to do as far as reopening. Much of our business is from out of town, and we are not really amenable to take out, since it is really a steak house. There have been a total of 11 cases in our small county, and even the sheriff and emergency responders are not told who tests positive due to HIIPA rules. Many of the locals act like nothing is going on, but I wear a mask any time I am in public, and I have only been to Walmart one time since February and was super nervous that time.
Seems to me that each of us, as an individual, can only make small contributions in the effort to blunt the impact of this virus, but that it is incumbent upon each of us to make whatever effort we can in order to secure the safety of others in our society. Granted, we may have to give up some personal liberties, and maybe take actions which run contrary to our own personal beliefs, but in the end, if it saves the next 50 citizens next to us, it is worth it.

Kevin

This is worth listening to
The idea that we need to shut down the Country until a Covid vaccine is developed has always seemed ludicrous to me since we have yet to have developed vaccines for the common cold, AIDS and the flu. Here's a Texas doctor that seems to have a rational solution. You might want to discuss it with your doctor.

Having had and recovered from COVID 19 I can assure you all that it is not a "variation of the Flu or Pneumonia", It is not like any other illnesses I ever experienced. That being said, I was lucky to have a relatively mild case, despite being elevated risk (asthmatic). My wife had it too, a little worse than me but also made it thorough pretty much unscathed. My 89yo mother was living in the house with us the whole time and either didn't contract it or remains asymptomatic, We did maintain a high level of separation and cleanliness, but the main thing I attribute to our success, is mega-dosing Vitamin D-3. It was already part of our daily regimen at normal doses but when my wife first got symptoms her dad, a PhD organic chemist, advised we to up it to 10-12,000 iu a day. We also took Vitamins B12, C and Zinc. Subsequently, I found a bunch of studies on the web attesting to D-3s effectiveness on the Rona...

Last edited:
Granted, we may have to give up some personal liberties, and maybe take actions which run contrary to our own personal beliefs, but in the end, if it saves the next 50 citizens next to us, it is worth it.

Kevin

This is the frustrating part to me. Wearing a cloth mask does little to protect the wearer, but it is pretty effective at keeping the wearer from spreading it if infected. This only works if everybody does their part, wears a mask in public and maintains some distance from others around them.

I have no problem wearing a mask if others do the same. I will make an effort not to get you sick, so please show me the courtesy by doing the same. Where I am it is a county requirement to wear a mask indoors and at other times where it is hard to maintain distance. Most people are being pretty good about this, but I do run into a few here and there.

My wife and I are making lemonade from the situation and having a little fun with the masks, treating them as a new fashion accessory.

I got this set about a month ago, it is Devo approved, no piracy involved.

Devo.jpg

My wife works in a hospital so she has been wearing masks from the beginning of this and as a result now has about 10 different ones, from simple to wild, she even has one that lights up with fiber optics.

Back