Craftex CX701 Lathe

Hopefully,they will not give you another head with that same too thin casting.

They ought to find out this crap is being discussed pin a large forum. It just might hurt their sales.

Last edited:
I am a bit surprised at Busy Bee. I have had a few minor problems in the past and they took the high road and replaced no charge.

However I didn't realize that this was a $3k lathe we are talking about. Have you told them that you are a member of a machining forum that has far reaching coverage? This is not good advertising for them, and they should be aware of this.

Hopefully they will come to the party.

David

Post their E-mail address and lets all email them with our disappointment of their customer service and backing of their product. I know I would never buy from them now and would be happy to tell them.

Hi was just wondering if Busy Bee took care of that for you and what they done because I just purchased a new one and have a similar problem and I've only had it 5 days and less that 1 hr on it.
Thanks
phil

Hey, Tiger Cat, I sent you a pm. Been a while since I been on here, what with moving and getting settled. Finally got my parts, they did manage to wait until all warranty was off before getting them to me. They supplied the parts but I had to pay shipping from Ontario to my place. When I got the new gearbox, lo and behold! The reason for the failure was self evident. The support web, located center-left of the gearbox, is machined WAY off plumb. The face that is machined off the support web in the original box is only machined about a quarter of the way across in the new box. The reason for it being machined at all is to allow clearance for the shifter to travel. In the new box, a quarter is sufficient. In the original box, the entire face had to be removed in order for the shifter to travel. Totally a manufacturing issue, and they refused to stand good for it. As soon as it was put under load, it failed. So, that being said, I am planning on picking up an old lathe in decent shape and sell this POS. Problem is, I don't really want to "unload" this on someone else. It's not in me to sell something that is no good. That being said, guess I own an 800 lb expensive paperweight....lol

Anyway, good luck with yours. If there were enough people with this issue with this lathe, maybe we could get some satisfaction out of either Busy Bee or the manufacturer. Strength in numbers.

L8r;
Drifter.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a bit surprised at Busy Bee. I have had a few minor problems in the past and they took the high road and replaced no charge.

However I didn't realize that this was a $3k lathe we are talking about. Have you told them that you are a member of a machining forum that has far reaching coverage? This is not good advertising for them, and they should be aware of this.

Hopefully they will come to the party.

David

Yes, David, I told them everything was being read by literally thousands of readers who would in all likelihood take their hard earned dollars elsewhere to spend. Their reply?? .....crickets....

Thanks for sharing your experience with us even if it was/is unpleasant. It will certainly help others who may be shopping for a hobby lathe.
If I was a retailer (which I am not) keeping track of how my products are appreciated (or not) by using the internet would be a must.
Hope things eventually work out better for you.

I find with the Busy Bee stuff you really need to be selective and expect to rework quit a bit of what you might purchase there, I've learned to remove everything that's possible from a package while I'm at the store and inspect it thoroughly, of course with some items this is impossible, I purchased a mill about 12 years ago for some heaver work that my hobby size mill could not handle, I considered the price verses what use I would get from it and just accepted the fact that I would need to strip it down and inspect/rework what ever was necessary, and the lack of quality control did not disappoint, I had to do every bit as much or more work than I had expected to, but I did know what I was getting into and it was what I could afford.

I've found the staff here at the store in Dartmouth Nova Scotia very good to deal with, the problems I've had is the times I've needed to deal with the people at the head office, I might have just been unlucky but the couple of time I've contacted them the people I've dealt with just don't seem to care whether there customers are happy/satisfied or not.

I purchased what was advertised as a super precision milling vise once, it rocked .025 from corner to corner and each side had a .015 dip in it....? I fully intended on re-machining it because I wasn't about to make a $60 trip to exchange a $100 vise, I called them just so I could express my dissatisfaction with the product, I honestly thought that they would be interested/concerned, but I was absolutely wrong, the guy I spoke to said no problem it will flatten out when I tighten It down, I asked if he seriously considered this to be an acceptable solution, he asked me what I had expected, I said I expected some level of accuracy seeing as it's advertised and sold as a "Super Precision Milling Vise" I was told some people are just to fussy an can never be kept happy....?

When I decided to purchase this lathe, it too was advertised as an accurate lathe. But then who would buy it if they were truthful in their advertising and said it was a POS, buy it and take your chances...lol They shipped my lathe(12 hours+ each way so had to ship) the first lathe was JUNK. the crate had rolled, mashing the splash pan flat, wiped out some of the fins on the heat sync., and they argued with me, wanting me to accept it and they would supply all the parts I needed......after arguing for 2 days, told them to refund my money and I would ship it back. THEN they said your new lathe will be shipped today. Should have told them to stuff it. Oh well, hindsight is 20-20 vision. Sad thing was, after agreeing to accept the second lathe they shipped me (no shipping damage that time) I found an outfit an hours drive away that sold lathes...and they look after their customers. So, if I decide to scrap this out I will be buying from them, even though I now live 3 hours away. Ther are a lot of good parts and pieces on this lathe, other than the drive unit, everything else seems ok. I wonder about replacing the drive system with a different one.....any thoughts, guys and gals?

You guys just convinced me to go with the Grizzly - was thinking about the Craftex 701........not no more

Back