Craftsman 07301 flea market find

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php
colletchk.jpg

Well, it's been awhile, life and other projects got in the way, but I finally got around to setting up the lathe. I had made up my mind to build a heavy wooden stand for it, then I got the idea of starting with an old wooden cabinet or dresser, some of them are pretty solid. Looked at a couple of flea markets but couldn't find anything, finally decided to use the wood cabinet that came with my mill, since it's already in my shop, it's quite solid and I really don't have room for much more. Now I jsut gotta find room for the stuff that was on top of it...

I did what I originally planned, using a steel drip tray under the lathe, but different from the mill I notched it in a couple of places and bent it up in the back, and around the belt drive. On the bottom I bolted the cabinet to a couple of 2x8 crossbars with screw in leveling pads to widen the base for more stability, then hung the motor off the back of the cabinet. Finally made the first chips this afternoon, just a scrap test piece, but it looks like I'm ready to go... ready to spend more $$$ on more tooling, that is...

Hey that came out great! Nice job.

Nice get, to put it mildly, and good to see it all set up and ready to go. The cabinet looks like it belongs with the machine - nice period touch. I've got the Atlas version your lathe and they do good work within their limits. I think you're going to like it. A 4-jaw would be a good addition to your tool kit.

John

Back