Craftsman 07301 flea market find

Congrats FanMan. You are a very lucky man. What a great find and nice little project getting it nice and ready for making chips. Enjoy your new toy.

With the MT holder and drawbar you can't turn long pieces extending through the headstock. With the threaded on ER collet holder you can. Though a MT collet might be more accurate than the threaded adapter for diameters too large to run through the spindle anyway.

True, but I don't do much through the headstock anyway. It's a capability worth having, but for small work it is also easy to live without. Using an Atlas lathe is a game of working within limitations, straight from the word go. I guess I rarely worry about spindle pass through capacity when my lathe only passes 3/4" to begin with. If I really needed to, I could bore my collet holder out to 3/8 or so and do the same to my draw bar (10" lathe, MT3 collet holder). Don't think I'll need to, though. I do have a 3AT setup, but with very few collets to choose from. I guess the reason I haven't hunted down more of those collets is because I don't find myself hitting a wall over the extra needed clamping depth.

It would be a game of chance to use a MT holder with no draw bar in the spin and machine on it , seriously the odds are not good . If concentrisity is a factor plus thru hole , I would look a precision 3 jaw chuck . I wonder if Buck makes something small enough for our lathes ? Plus could something be adapted that had soft jaws ?

Last edited:
I don't think anybody's suggesting using a MT taper adapter without a drawbar, I don't think that would end well. The ER adapters I'm talking about screw onto the outside of the spindle and never touch the taper.

Never heard of B uck chucks before but looked 'em up (they do have a 4" precision chuck. .0005" TIR), man, their stuff is pricey.

Edit: weird, if you type "B u c k" without the spaces the forum converts it to "insurgent U", but if you edit the post it still shows as "B u c k".

Last edited:
Great find , were you carrying a six gun , cause YA stole it. Congratulations

I think that I recall that mymachineshop.com was offering a screw-on ER collet chuck, but don't recall whether it was 1"-10, 1"-8, or both.

The diameter of the work piece should theoretically anyway have no effect on accuracy. If the register area in fron of the threads is properly made, there shouldn't be any real (or meaningful) difference in accuracy between MT mounted and threaded.

Here would be a good set up for thru hole spindle .
140447-er32-collet-chuck-img_1495.jpg

Holy cow, what a deal.

My stand is a generic workbench base with two 3/4" pieces of plywood on the top. Works well for what the machine is.

K

Back