Craftsman 101.07403 counter pulley system

lot's of questions

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
Recently purchased at auction Craftsman model 101.07403 lathe. Unfortunately the counter pulley system is missing.
I'm wondering if I should look to replace it or simply switch to a variable speed motor.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't fine a direct replacement, You might be able to adapt a countershaft from another lathe, like a South Bend, etc.
Treadmills are a great source of powerful, variable speed, motors. They can often be had for free. There's resources here and elsewhere on the net on using them.
Either way, please post pictures of your progress and ask as many questions as you need.

First, the original model number of your machine was 101.07403, not quite what you had written, I fixed that. Second, are you missing the entire Counter-Shaft assembly? Is that correct?

Maybe post a picture of what you do have.
My opinion is the same as it was from your previous thread.

Maybe post a picture of what you do have.
My opinion is the same as it was from your previous thread.
Will do when I get a chance. I'm really leaning towards variable speed, either vfd or tread mill motor. Pretty straightforward with finite speed control and reverse. Well within my skillset.

I would first call Clausing and find out what they do have and the pricing. That gives you a baseline. to shoot at. The problem with trying to do it all with a variable speed motor is that you basically can't. Plus the issue with figuring out what the spindle speeds are. The ideal solution would be to find a complete counter-shaft assembly and re-bush it as necessary.

Back