Craftsman 101.28940 Half Nut Skipping Teeth

The Craftsman has been a wonderful machine. I did the metric threading change gear modification, added a DRO and for a long time it did everything I needed it to do. Lately I've been finding myself turning larger off center pieces and attempting to counterweight a lot more often. After getting more familiar with a 1340 and 1660 lathe that we have at work, the desire for a heavier and larger machine is pretty high. I am in no immediate rush to upgrade though. In the next year or so, if a decent condition Standard Modern 1440 popped up for sale local to me, I can't say I wouldn't jump on it.

My craftsman doesn't have a quick change tool post, it has a custom 4 way tool post. Most of my 5/8" and 3/4" tooling should still be usable with a 14" machine but you're right in saying that I would want a BXA/CXA tool post. In addition, my lathe is missing the steady and follow rest. It seems like the value of these lathes automatically get cut in half by hobbyist's when those accessories are missing. Maybe I'll keep a look out for some good Ebay deals on steady/follow rests so that when it comes time to sell I can get double the asking price :p

OK. If most of your cutters are 5/8" or 3/4", they would still be usable with the larger lathe. I've had an AXA on my 3996 and almost all of my cutters are 3/8". Which would probably all be too small for a 14" or 16".

For the last several years, my rule of thumb for pricing if someone asked has been about $150 for most of the accessories except for the Tool Post Grinder which I have always figured @ $200. The other two common accessories are the Taper Attachment and the Milling Attachment, which I also usually allow $150 for. Chucks, collet chucks or closers, and collet sets are too variable to have a fixed figure for estimation purposes.

I have an Atlas 3996 bought new 40 years ago this year. Although I have reason to know that it isn't the last one built, so far it has the highest serial number reported.

All of my insert tooling is 5/8"+ other than a few small boring bars. Custom/form tools are HSS but I tend to stick with 1/2" or greater if I can.

I had no idea these lathes came with a taper attachment!

That is very cool that yours is among the last built, what is the difference between the Atlas 3996 and Craftsman 101.28940? From the various images I've seen online it looks like the motor mounting/stand are the only differences.

The half-inch way Atlas machines have two major versions. The first version, of which yours is one, were introduced in 1957 and 1958 and were made until 1966. The first version used the same lead screw, right lead screw bearing and cross-feed actuator as the final versions of the earlier 3/8" way 10" and 12". They were available in two lengths (24" and 36" Between Centers), with Change Gears or QCGB, and as a bench model with horizontal countershaft behind the headstock, or (except for no change gear models) as a cabinet model with a vertical countershaft mounted in the cabinet below the lathe.

In 1962, the change gear models were discontinued.

In 1966, the eight (four Atlas and four Craftsman) new models got a new right lead screw bearing with needle bearings and not designed to break away in the event of a crash while under power feed. This function was replaced by shortening the left end of the lead screw and inserting an adjustable slip clutch. The QCGB was modified slightly by changing the output shaft. Finally, a lever operator was added to the carriage apron to engage or disengage power cross feed. The cross feed knob was deleted and the cross feed drive shaft was shortened slightly and modified to connect to the end of the cross feed actuator lever.

In 1972, the four 12x24 models were discontinued.

In 1974 the two 12x36 bench models were discontinued.

In March 1981 the final two 12x36 cabinet model was discontinued.

The only differences between Atlas and Craftsman models were the headstock nameplates and the serial and model number plates on the right end of the beds.

OK. I'll hate to see you leave the Atlas Forum but if you need a 14" or 16" machine, you do.

Well, that time has come a lot quicker than I had anticipated... Had a fellow on a local forum message me about a Standard Modern 1340. Although not a 14" swing, I couldn't pass up the offer. The lathe is in exceptional condition with original paint and came with many accessories - taper attachment, steady rest, 5C collet closer, 4J, 3J, QCTP, acu-rite DRO, chip tray and backsplash. It's a metric machine, but does imperial threads as well.

I had been searching local listings for an SM lathe for about a year with no luck so when this opportunity arose I couldn't say no. The previous owner says the machine was built in the early 80s.

PXL_20210529_193923005.jpg

PXL_20210530_005446232.jpg

I'm sad to see the atlas go, but I just don't have room in the shop to keep it.

Good luck with it. It appears to be a nicely built machine.

Back