Craftsman 101 and a mystery machine

Spajo

Registered
Registered
A friend gifted two machines, a Craftsman 101 and a mystery machine. I want to determine how much of the Craftsman 101 is missing and or broken and after that figure out what to do with it. The images that start with C101 are for the Craftsman machine.

C101 issues:
1. Missing lead screw, and support bearings.
2. Carriage missing gears, handle, and other parts. Half nuts and indicator are ok. There is a shaft that fits the hole in the, but not sure if that is correct.
3. Not sure that the cross slide belongs with the C101 or the mystery machine.
4. There is no tool post, but confused about the odd clamp where a tool post should go. Does a cross slide mount to that?
5. Banjo and some gears to drive the lead screw, but is all the gearing there?
6. I got a box of parts which could fit either either machine.
7. Head stock OK, but front bearing appears to have been brazed and it has about 15 - 20 mills of play.
8. Pully and clutch system is missing and no motor.

Mystery machine:
Mx.jpeg is a side view. I has a lead screw, but no drive. There are no half nuts. The carriage had two bars screwed to it (seen in center of picture) and a homemade chip guard (left in picture) was attached. Something like a tail stock is seen on the left. It has a belt driven pulley to drive a rotating shaft. I'm not sure what that is actually for. There is a headstock which may or may not be associated with the mystery machine. Note that the bottom of this headstock has been ground off flat - well butchered actually. It can't mount to the mystery bed as is. Maybe the thought was to mount this head stock on the C101 because of the bearings? Except for the base, the headstock is ok.

Can anyone ID the mystery machine?

My friend said that he had paperwork for me, but I don't know any more than that. I may get that tomorrow.
In the end, I have a couple of choices. Restore them, adapt the parts to a home-brew machine(s), or find them another home.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and advice.

Spajo

Attachments

• C101.jpeg
    C101.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 98
  • C101_tag.jpeg
    C101_tag.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 85
  • C101_Parts?.jpeg
    C101_Parts?.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 77
  • C101_gears.jpeg
    C101_gears.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 79
  • C101_bearing.jpeg
    C101_bearing.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Mx.jpg
    Mx.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 90
  • Mx_head.jpeg
    Mx_head.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Mx_bed.jpeg
    Mx_bed.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 99
Hey Spajo , the first machine is an Craftsman 6" . The main thing about the 6" is it has bushings for the head stock spindle , it was over tightened and broke and then brazed back together and that was a waste of brazing rod . It's gone and that is that , sorry . The 6" is a nice machine , I have one and I love it . Anyway your machine is missing too much stuff , I would sell it for parts . Or you could get another parts 6" and make one good machine , the problem is buying one piece at a time gets expensive fast . In the first picture the part you thought went to the compound is the vise jaw for the milling attachment .
The other machine I'm not sure what it is I don't think it is a Dunlap 109 but that is what the extra head stock is . It looks very vintage and precision . I say precision because it has angled ways as opposed to box . That being said I would research it , you can do that here http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html
I for sure would like to see you get a Atlas/Craftsman running , check them out here http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/
I'm not the last word on this , just my opinion .
Good luck and keep us posted , Mark .

Last edited:
Hey Spajo , the first machine is an Craftsman 6" . The main thing about the 6" is it has bushings for the head stock spindle , it was over tightened and broke and then brazed back together and that was a waste of brazing rod . It's gone and that is that , sorry . The 6" is a nice machine , I have one and I love it . Anyway your machine is missing too much stuff , I would sell it for parts . Or you could get another parts 6" and make one good machine , the problem is buying one piece at a time gets expensive fast . In the first picture the part you thought went to the compound is the vise jaw for the milling attachment .
The other machine I'm not sure what it is I don't think it is a Dunlap 109 but that is what the extra head stock is . It looks very vintage and precision . I say precision because it has angled ways as opposed to box . That being said I would research it , you can do that here http://www.lathes.co.uk/index.html
I for sure would like to see you get a Atlas/Craftsman running , check them out here http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman6inchmk1/
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not surprised by your assessment of the Craftsman 6". I would like to have one. And, thanks for the lead on the second machine.
I followed your link and found this -> Early version of the Dunlap 109 had double V ways.
I may be able to pin down the date by looking at the gap between the V ways. Possibly before 1940. I also read that the headstocks on these lathes were pretty weak which may mean that the head stock mounting busted. And, some models were hand feed.

Yep second machine is an older 109 "the other" Craftsman 6" made by AA. It is kind of funny that they had vee ways because in every other way they are inferior to the Atlas made lathes.

Also agree with Cross thread with all the missing bits from the Craftsman 101, from a financial perspective it is basically a parts donor. You could buy a nice complete one for less than the cost of the replacement parts. Prices vary by region but around here it isn't too hard to find a good Craftsman 101 with tooling in the $500-750 range.

I think the Craftsman 109 lathes are kind of neat, but they are very simple and lightweight machines. The Atlas 618 / Craftsman 101 is a far superior lathe.

The 109 lathes have a bit of a following, so the few bits and bobs you have are worth something. Take a look at ebay, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get at least $100 for them, probably more.

I disassembled the head stock today. It looks like the front bushing failed and the spindle is badly worn down - about 20 mills. I was surprised that the brazed bearing support help up to a few blows from a mallet. Some of the gears on the 101 are chewed up. So all I really have from that machine is a bed, a tail stock, a pulley or two, and a few gears.

CrossThread. I disassembled the 101's head stock and tested the strength of the braze. It seemed pretty solid although not perfectly straight. The head stock is cast iron not Zamak. Later models did have Zamak and for sure brazing Zamak would be a waste of time, but given that the head stock is cast iron (attracts magnet), do you stand by you thought that the head stock is junk? There are plenty of other problems

NOTE: "101", "109", and many other two- and 3-digit numbers are in this context only Sears's contractor codes. In a broader context, "109" was also the hull number of a fairly well known WW-II MTB but that is another story. However, when you write that so and so has or you have a "101" you haven't really told anyone anything except that Atlas made it for Sears sometime over the half century between about 1930 and 1981. That I know of, Atlas built well over 100 different pieces of wood working and metal working tools all of which have model numbers beginning with "101". AA or Double A Company did not make nearly as many but just saying that a "101" is better than a "109" is probably not a true statement either as I think that a 109.21280 is probably a better lathe than a 101.07300 and maybe about as good as a 101.07301.

But in any case, please don't come on here asking for help with your "101" or even with your "101 lathe". The latter descriptor only reduces the list of possibilities from several hundred to around 50 possibilities.. Many of us are only or mostly on here to help but none of us have enough spare time to go through the whole rigamarole again for the hundredth time.

WOW, the thread title may have been a little vague but that's a little harsh. Good thing the OP learned what he had 9 days ago from a more helpful response or he may have mistaken his lathe for a WW2 boat!

Back