Craftsman 101 and a mystery machine

RE: Mx photo…

I don’t think that is a Dunlap bed, the Model 80 had sort of like an apron that went to the bench top. No real space to pass through underneath the bed. With that said you may have at the very least a good bed to make up a nice center for checking runout and concentricity of your parts.

RE: Mx-head photo…

Definitely looks like a Dunlap headstock to me. I had one for years and everything at least looks the same to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vtcnc: I checked (RE: Mx-head photo) which you ID as Dunlap, the apron that is normally seen on the headstock was ground off. After inspecting the head stock on the other machine, the spindle shaft is worn out. I'm speculating that the owners were hacking the Dunlap headstock to either put it on the Atlas made machine or make it work on the double V bed. One other thing, I measured the spacing on the double V bed and it is 2.15" and it is quite long. On Ebay, I can see the apron on some machines that you refer to. It is integrated into carriage gear mechanism which is missing on either my headstock or bed. I need a few days to sort all this out.

Spajo

Isn't there a larger replacement spindle kit available?
I would like to know if there is such a thing. It would be a challenge to rebuild or even make a new one. A good used ones are hard to find.

I would like to know if there is such a thing. It would be a challenge to rebuild or even make a new one. A good used ones are hard to find.

My Dunlap that I sold a year or so ago had a 3/4” spindle. I had to take a lot of photos to convince the hardliners that it actually was real. It appeared to me that the headstock casting was line bored, new sleeves pressed in and line bored again to 3/4”. There is enough cast iron in the casting to do this.

One of the common complaints and failure points on the Dunlap 80 is the weak 1/2” spindle. Because I never had one, I can’t speak to that problem, but I can tell you that the 3/4” was a good spindle.

This would complicate your project, in a major way, but you would have a robust little lathe when you are finished. Worthy and capable of doing decent hobby work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firstram, sorry but you probably haven't read as many posts in as many lists from owners of various types of equipment sold by Sears as I have where the poster identified what he had by only giving the contractor code.

@vtcnc, do you recall what the model number was of the AA lathe that you had?

No, that was the third of the four with 1/2" spindles. Unless it had been modified, or there was a sixth AA model. How about 109.21280?

Did it have a V-bed or an inverted semi-circle?

No, that was the third of the four with 1/2" spindles. Unless it had been modified, or there was a sixth AA model. How about 109.21280?

Did it have a V-bed or an inverted semi-circle?
Still looking for my old photos, but here is my thread from last year about this lathe prior to selling it.

EDIT: yes, it was definitely modified to take a 3/4" spindle.

Found my old photos.

Last edited:
OK. Thanks. I had it fixed in my mind that the 109.21280 had a 1" dia. spindle. Instead of 3/4". Glad that I don't have to change that to 3/4"!!

Sorry, but you probably haven't read as many posts in as many lists from owners of various types if equipment sold by Sears as I have where the poster identified what he had by only giving the contractor code
Firstram, sorry but you probably haven't read as many posts in as many lists from owners of various types of equipment sold by Sears as I have where the poster identified what he had by only giving the contractor code.
I'm for moving forward. First, nomenclature is important and it helps everyone to do it the correct way. How to educate newbies is another issue. I came in with a lack of understanding.

At this point here is what I would do differently: I tried to do too much in one post. I think 2 and maybe 3 posts would have been much better.

1. Craftsman 101.07301 would have been in the title of the first post and in the opening text along with other numbers. I would have asked about that lathe. What is it worth, should I fix it, and so on.
2. "Unknown manufacturer, but sold by Craftsman" in the title. I saw Craftsman on the chuck, but that headstock was butchered for some reason and not mounted to the lathe. I would have asked if anyone could ID the parts and does the headstock belong with that bed.
3. I have a box full of part - gears, dead centers, knobs, a banjo, and so on. I would ask which lathe do these parts go with?

Back