Craftsman 6" 101.07301 tear down and rebuild thread (and some questions)

thanks Mike, slow but steady! Another coat or two and the tail stock and steady will be ready to be reassembled. I might be able to get that done before I head off to Utah, but most likely it'll be after I come back.

no pictures as my camera died, but the tail stock and steady are painted and back together. Feels good to get another couple of assemblies done up and ready to go. next up is the carriage..

figured out why my camera isn't working, so I've taken a few pics. Almost finished painting the carriage and bits, so that'll be going back together hopefully by the end of the week as teaching starts next week and I won't have much spare time.

thread dial
IMG_3797.JPG
tailstock
IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3799.JPG
steady rest
IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3801.JPG

Nice paint job.

thanks! Painting takes such a long time. Still, in for a penny in for a pound as they say..

Looking good Matt. Looks a lot different than when it left here. Looking forward to seeing some chips :)

thanks Jim, I just wish I'd taken more before pictures - I was in too much of a rush to tear things down! There's not a lot of wear for such an old lathe either. I can't wait to make chips too :)

my prophecy was right - I finished the night before semester started up again and it's taken me 10 days to post the pics!
Gear cover:
IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3803.JPG
IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3807.JPG

and the carriage - I had temporarily mislaid the threading dial so it's not attached in these pics, but I (or rather my mum) did find it :)
IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3807.JPG

Matt, that is looking beautiful! Much different than when you picked it up. There actually was a lathe under all that rust and crud.

Back