Craftsman 6" 101.07301 tear down and rebuild thread (and some questions)

Wondered about those two gears---- I imagine it is a conveni
ence in distances or angles...........BLJHB.

getting close..
IMG_3836.JPG IMG_3837.JPG IMG_3838.JPG IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3841.JPG

and, in somewhat crazy news, I just bought an Atlas 618 :) I was talking a few months ago to a colleague at work about the awesome lathe I'd just been given and he asked me what model. Told him it was a 6" Craftsman to which he replies "oh, I've got an Atlas 618 that I'm selling". Turns out the guy he was going to sell it to had to back out after getting the evil eye from his wife when he turned up with a motorcycle sidecar, so my colleague offered it to me. Really well tooled, with a Bison 3 jaw (inside AND outside jaws!), Craftsman 4 jaw which I'll be replacing as it's pretty tired, toolpost, boring bar holder, drill chuck and steady, couple of live centers and, most importantly of all, a full set of change gears! All for $250!

The plan is to keep the motor from the lathe Jim gave me (the Atlas has a washing machine motor), swap the carriage and tailstock as the ones from Jim's lathe are less worn then give the newly blue lathe with all the tooling that I don't need to my cousin. He's wanted a lathe for a long time but can't justify the $$ with a 1yr old. I figured for $250 for the lathe was the tooling I needed plus a free 618 lathe :D

Only downside is I now have another lathe to strip, clean and paint! Nice problem to have though...

alright, it may not appear as if much has happened but I recently got a burst of enthusiasm to finish off this lathe. I'm waiting for time to be home in daylight before taking pics, but here are a few teasers

IMG_4187.JPG IMG_4188.JPG IMG_4190.JPG

I need to make a couple of set screws for the compound slide gib, mount it to a base and then build a crate for it. Pictures to come!

Those gears behave like idlers, they don't change the ratio. It's the first and last gear in the train that determines the ratio, the spindle gear being the first. This also applies to compound gears (two gears stacked together on the banjo) for example: if a 2:1 ratio is called for you can use a 20 and 40 tooth or 32 and 64 tooth, as long as it physically fits in/0n the banjo.
Mark S.

thanks Mark, I sort of understand that but enough people have told me the same to take it for gospel :)

also - - - - - IT'S FINISHED!!

check it out :) Almost finished building the crate too, so I might be able to get it sent by the end of the week

IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4231.JPG IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4234.JPG IMG_4235.JPG IMG_4236.JPG

tooling package for Joe, from various spares and the like. There's also a 4 jaw from Ulma Doctor that'll get him started - it's currently bolted to the end of the crate. Even cooler - 2 of those lathe bits are his dad's (RexAAA no less!) from when he was in the Air Force!IMG_4240.JPG

dismantled, more pics of crate to follow..IMG_4241.JPG

Jim - looks a bit different from when you gave me, right?!

thanks Dan! I hope it can provide some inspiration for your own 7301 :)

WOW! That is a nice looking lathe. Looks really different from when I pulled it out of the scrap pile. I think I made a very good choice of who to gift it to. Nice Job Matt!:encourage:

Back