Craftsman 6" lathe value ?

I think these are neat little lathes, I have a smaller and a larger lathe so I don't really have a need but I've been watching for a cheap project-ish one to play with.
From what I've seen $600 is a good price for one in decent shape with basic tooling. As others have said the milling attachment alone could sell for $150-300. If you want a 4 jaw chuck or steady rest tooling doesn't seem hard to find for these.

Looking closer at the pics of what included, i would say it is a great deal. has everything to get started.

I've had mine for several years, stepped up to a larger lathe and keep the Atlas as a backup - it's nice to have it available when using the bigger one.

Since that machine is tooled up pretty well, I'd say it's priced fairly, and the condition looks good. As long as you recognize it's limitations and it fits your needs, I'd say go for it.

I would say that assuming you aren't going to have to pay another $300 to $600 to get it shipped to you, you did quite well.

I will add, since no one else mentioned it, that this machine has ball spindle bearings. Sears didn't sell the later Mk-2 6" with Timken bearings. But so long as they are in good condition, that doesn't alter my comment above.

The seller found this additional tooling. They are asking $600 for everything. Too much?
There are people that collect Craftsman stuff. Those boxes are all in pristine shape--if the tooling is too, it might be of significant value to a collector. FYI.

Craig

I would pay that in a heartbeat for what you show. The accessories are often worth more money than the machines. If you are looking to make money you can come out pretty good on that deal, if you are looking at it to use you might consider selling the accessories and buying less pristine ones for less money. Collectors will pay a premium for those things in the original boxes. The lathe doesn't look like it has seen much use either, and the micrometer stop on it alone is worth $150 on Ebay.

Back