Craftsman Drill Press

gredpe3

Active User
Registered
I have been tinkering with an old drill press,The cast base has a date of 11/68 on the bottom.The motor is 1/3 hp and has a shaft coming out both ends.The plate is marked Sears and Roebuck.My Question is why the shaft on both ends?
Eddie

My best guess is that it is not the original motor. I can't think of any reason you would need a double shaft motor on a drill press.

Theres one on flea bay just like the one I have , same motor and all.
Eddie

In that case, I guess you could flip the motor over and run the drill press in reverse for left handed drill bits :lmao: , dunno

Get a motor shaft chuck adapter https://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-Arbors-5-8-Arbor-1-2-Keyless-Chuck/G5553

And put a countersink on the other shaft of the motor. That way you can drill and countersink without a tool change. It will run fast and have no table, but hey, it will work. Or keep the drill press head loose on the column and flip turn it 180* to use direct drive motor speed for micro drill bits without worrying about belt changes.

I don't think a 1750 rpm motor would be fast enough for a flex shaft. Dremels run 5k minimum and that's even too slow.

And the other possibility is that whomever built the DP for Sears was overstocked with double-ended shaft motors that year. :whistle:

Robert D.

Ok, I checked a few old Craftsman catalogs. All the drill presses had duel shaft motor. It didn't say why though.

I also found out that the vintage Craftsman flexible shafts were paired with 1/3 1/4 or 1/2 HP 1725 motor.

Back