Craftsman Drill Press

I have a 70's vintage Craftsman radial arm saw that has a dual shaft motor. The rear shaft had a small hand activated brake to slow down the spindle after the motor was shut off.
Maybe something similar was included on the drill presses?

My 1963 Craftsman drill press that I bought new,has a single shaft motor. It finally pooped out last year.

You need to be sure that your motor was made to be mounted vertically. It has to have the correct type bearings.

What would denote the way it can be mounted? Something on the service tag?

The first requirement would be ball instead of sleeve bearings.

On the double shaft question, it just occurred to me that the motors on the Craftsman band saw and the belt/disk sander that I had before I converted the wood working part of my shop to Shopsmith both had double ended shafts. And plastic guards over the unused ends. Sears may have standardized on double ended shafts simply to reduce the number of motor types needed on all of their equipment.

Robert D.

Sears may have standardized on double ended shafts simply to reduce the number of motor types needed on all of their equipment.

I think this was the case. Most of the Sears tools I have run across from the 1960s and 1970s that had original motors were double-shafted.

My radial arm saw has a double shaft. The literature eludes to a router attachment. Although the motor speed is way too slow to be an effective router.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all of you that helped in that ?. I'm happy with the machine.One more thing,How do I determine it's designation.15" /17"/20"?What is actually measured to determine this?
Eddie

Measure from the front of the pole to the center of the drill chuck, then x that number by 2. -J

Back