Craigslist craziness

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
someone is selling a mint south bend 9a near me for $625 with a taper atachtment a steady rest and a follow rest my dad tried to contact them but they wont respond and there is someone who put up a listing to try to contact the owner because they wont respond great deal but no response and it was put up a week ago! a south bend like that near me would sell for 2k like that!

It may have sold within a few hours of the listing and the seller is just ignoring the messages. I see this a lot around my area as well. I don't understand why they just don't pull the add when they sell it.

could have sold it but stuff does not sell quick around here because there is so much and someone was selling a sb exactly the same and it took a month to sell other sb lathes at a good price dont sell for about six months but if it was sold they should take it down but what is worse is a really good deal and in the last line they say it is sold.

It may have sold within a few hours of the listing and the seller is just ignoring the messages. I see this a lot around my area as well. I don't understand why they just don't pull the add when they sell it.

I would agree about the machine being sold, but the ad not removed. I've seen the same thing in this area many times. I' called about a Delta Rockwell surface grinder only to find the seller had sold it almost a month earlier. I found during our conversation he didn't know how to take down the ad. I walked him through the process, and it disappeared within minutes of ending the call.

I seem to remember that CL use to limit adds to 7 days and you could only list the exact same add once. If you wanted to list it multiple times you had to change the content somehow. Now I see the same exact add over and over again on the same page and they are listed for months.

I contacted about that same lathe, never heard back.
wow lots want that lathe it is a killer deal and deserves a big :you suck: for who gets it the steady rest and follow rest are worth $650

I feel your pain. Seems like the better the deal the less likely they will respond. The classic was somebody with a Clausing mill that looked new, fully tooled and 2hrs away and wanted $800. I tried every way, email, text, using my wife’s iPad etc and they never responded. The ad was up for almost 4mo so they had to keep reposting but would never respond. Maddening. I’m struggling right now with a person who’s listed a 3tn arbor press with factory stand for $200 and will not respond to phone, text, or email. Sometimes it seems like a way to harvest phone #’s and emails.

I see the same thing around here. People are plain lazy, though I'd think that the constant pinging from potential buyers would push them into taking down the ad, but guess not.

A few years ago someone posted a restaurant grade pellet smoker on Craigslist for $300 which was less than 1/10th of new. I responded to the add multiple times and never heard anything back. A month and a half later they finally got back to me... LOL! I have been cooking perfect brisket ever since.

Even farther back my father responded to a Powermatic 71 12" table saw for $1. When he got there the guy even loaded it on his trailer for him and threw in the Biesemeyer Commercial Fence for the $1. It took us a good 4 months to restore it but I still have it.

Then there was the time that a guy posted a $800 Jepson 9421ND 10" metal cutting mitering dry saw in new condition on Craigslist for $100 and wanted to meet in the Home Depot parking lot. I called the cops on that guy, then gave the cops his license plate and the saw serial number after I bought it. After a new blade it does a fantastic job of cutting perfect angles in angle iron and box steel! I never heard back from the cops. :)

You just never know. I have had my share (at least my share) of no replies also but sometimes you just get lucky! Of course most of those too good to be true deals are just scams so you shouldn't waist your time calling on them... I will take care of that for you!

Back