Craigslist craziness

I too have gotten a most of my deal and machine tools local off CL at prices way below eBay or any other method. But it takes a lot of patience and reading between the lines. One man‘s treasure is one man’s junk and all that. More and more like with eBay I’m seeing these guys who seem to be trying to make a living off CL/eBay. Hobby class machines at inflated prices. Usually with a paint job rebuild. I stay away from them because I’m on CL once a day and see what’s going on. The usual suspects posting the same stuff over and over.

A few years ago someone posted a restaurant grade pellet smoker on Craigslist for $300 which was less than 1/10th of new. I responded to the add multiple times and never heard anything back. A month and a half later they finally got back to me... LOL! I have been cooking perfect brisket ever since.

Even farther back my father responded to a Powermatic 71 12" table saw for $1. When he got there the guy even loaded it on his trailer for him and threw in the Biesemeyer Commercial Fence for the $1. It took us a good 4 months to restore it but I still have it.

Then there was the time that a guy posted a $800 Jepson 9421ND 10" metal cutting mitering dry saw in new condition on Craigslist for $100 and wanted to meet in the Home Depot parking lot. I called the cops on that guy, then gave the cops his license plate and the saw serial number after I bought it. After a new blade it does a fantastic job of cutting perfect angles in angle iron and box steel! I never heard back from the cops. :)

You just never know. I have had my share (at least my share) of no replies also but sometimes you just get lucky! Of course most of those too good to be true deals are just scams so you shouldn't waist your time calling on them... I will take care of that for you!

I wonder if it is the area you are in. I have talked with members of other forums who live in the Bend area regarding some of the transplants that have come into the area.

I wonder if it is the area you are in. I have talked with members of other forums who live in the Bend area regarding some of the transplants that have come into the area.

Bend is being overrun by aliens from south of the border (and I don't mean Mexico). Housing prices have sky rocketed! Crime is WAY up! The homeless population has exploded! Motor cycle gangs are moving in. And the quality of life has REALLY gone down hill! I am glad I have a bit of buffer from the craziness in Bend... but I can see it heading my way! :(

They move in, do everything possible to change the culture to be like where they come from then move on when it is no longer tolerable to live there. I know where I want a border wall built!

Bend is being overrun by aliens from south of the border (and I don't mean Mexico). Housing prices have sky rocketed! Crime is WAY up! The homeless population has exploded! Motor cycle gangs are moving in. And the quality of life has REALLY gone down hill! I am glad I have a bit of buffer from the craziness in Bend... but I can see it heading my way! :(

They move in, do everything possible to change the culture to be like where they come from then move on when it is no longer tolerable to live there. I know where I want a border wall built!

You are so right, just like a virus. They infect the area then move on to their new victim.

I use to love Bend in the 1970's when I was a student at OIT in KIamath Falls. It was a great college town and spent most of my off time on the mountain. Back then, a lift ticket was $12 per day. That won't buy you a drink today.

Same thing has happened to the Oregon Coast where I grew up. Very sad to see. It has put a huge kink in my retirement plans to return. But won't let them take our dream away. Will just need to enlarge the buffer zone.

Yet no complaints about your neighbors who sold "them" the properties... It's good to know that when you decide to move, you'll refuse all offers from "them!"

I always like the ones who can not follow directions, you clearly in huge block letter, telling them to call do not text, and the text messages start instantly. I have problems with them and people who can not understand the concept of a FIRM price, they low ball or even start to haggle, I just hang up, or shut the door in their face.

part of the reason I have 20+ welders and the last 7 cars I tried to sell.

Back