Craigslist Rant

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Not sure if it's me or the "twitter" generation.
I had Thursday off due to snow, and was searching Craigslist for deals on tools, etc.
A few folks responded via e-mail but appear to have trouble providing an address.
I understand that a seller would want a full name and phone number before giving out their address, but if they don't call or e-mail an address, it's really hard to stop by and actually pick up an item.
Two of the last three folks I contacted used a smart phone to get back to me. I get answers like "afternoon would be fine", but no address. I respond with "still need your address", and get "I'll be there from..."
Is the snow making people crazy?

Na, I don't think it has anything to do with the snow, or being crazy. It does seem that more and more people are just plain stupid these days, which is why I think forums like this, (ones of a technical nature), seem to be popular places for the increasingly smaller number of thinking individuals to congregate. We should just face up to the fact, smart phones make you stupid. :confused:

I'm afraid for the foreseeable future we are going to be seeing a lot more stupid and an ever dwindling pool of intelligence among us. Like the line in the song says -

"Been around the world and found that only stupid are breeding..." Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta

Just my two cents worth of off topic ramblings.

Mark

Want to report that there is a glimmer of hope for humanity.
One fellow ended up calling me this morning. It turns out it was the snow. He lived way out in the county and was shoveling and plowing himself into delirium.
The other fellow - well he's just really reluctant about giving out his address. He's planning to meet me in a parking lot to sell his grinder. I guess some folks just don't want to have strangers stop by. He's selling a clean old bench grinder with nice cast grinding rests for only $40. Appears to be a nice item at a good price. He says he has a receptacle on his vehicle, so I can run it before I buy it. I sure hope it's actually his. Should be an interesting trip. I'm meeting him in a pretty nice area, so I'm not overly concerned.

Have to admit - had to do a search on Harvey Danger. My kids were growing up then, so I missed that entire era.

i have sold a few things on craigslist , my rule of thumb is give me your name and phone number , i call you and if you want it and are coming now , i give you my address .
if you are coming at another time i give you my number , and when you call me and tell me you are coming after it i give you my address then .

i expect the same if im buying

bosephus:
It's likely safer to do business your way.
I assumed (incorrectly) that if they have my name, city, and cell number, they can easily find my address. I did a search of my own cell number to check. It appears one can pay for a reverse lookup (I didn't check into that), but other folks (with different names) are using my cell number to build fake info - kind of strange.
I did find the sellers full name by checking his cell number, but not an address. From what I found (job related info), I'm pretty sure he's a local fellow from a local employer.
I was a bit concerned about showing up in a parking lot with cash. If it was much more than $40, I wouldn't do it.

I am always cautious when selling on craigslist. I pretty much never give out my address unless there is no ifs ands, or buts, I can not load up what I am selling and meet somewhere public. And that has only happened once (was selling a riding lawn mower).
When I sell, I check the box "no emails to this address" and do it only by phone. If they are interested, they have to call and actually talk to me. When we meet, there is a large, nice gas station a mile or so from my house. They are busy and have security cameras. I always tell them to meet me there.
Doing stuff like this can help reduce some of the risks (but not all). Just use you best judgement and if the person seems shady, either pass or go at your own risk. If the person wants to meet somewhere, always choose a public place (gas station, retail store parking lot, etc..)
I also conceal carry too, but thats a completely different topic.

I use CL a lot.But I use the CL relay to get a feel for the buyer first.If there emails seem OK ,then I will talk to them on the phone. I hate to say it but there are a lot of dishonest people out there.
Depending on the size and or weight of the item I have to sell I have two different ways to complete the sale. First is to meet in a parking lot that has a lot of video cameras . My favorite is the local court house.
Lots of LEO's around.
If the item is to big I just move it to the end of the driveway and tell the buyer to call me when they get close so I can put the dogs up. Jethro the big male has a 100' overhead cable run in the front yard and the female in the back yard barking and growling lets everyone know this ain't the place to sneak around in.
What ever way you go just be safe.
********************Just Saying*******************Gator*************************

What grumpy said, its pretty easy to tell if they are some freak scammer. As for CL in my area its great for selling but not so much for buying, people and their insane prices. There's a well used Aloris QCTP for sale now...for $140 than you can buy it brand new. /facepalm

I don't use CL because I wouldn't let anyone come to my place without bothering my friends in law enforcement for a BC, and if I were to meet somewhere else without one, I'd come armed. Don't want to scare the normals, so I don't use CL. But I do sell on ebay. :)

Back