Craigslist Rant

I understand everyones concerns these days as far as safety, but if you're that concerned why use craigslist or similar ?
Everyones situation is different, but for me, we have security cameras, large dogs (my wife breeds Italian Mastiffs), copper jacketed lead and the means to deliver it, and identity theft protection.
We live in an isolated, rural location, but not stupid and aware enough that anyone coming here with the intention of coming back later uninvited would probably think twice after being here.

I spent several thousand on my home security system, Sig 9mm, Sig 45 ACP, Ruger 44 Mag, Colt AR15, and if some grizzly bear is getting uppity Ruger Guide Gun in .338 Win Mag BOOM!!

i have kind of learned over the years that , normal people you can trust will follow nice simple easy directions such as a request for a name and number to call . without any issues or drama .

idiots, jerks , thief's and druggies either can not or will not and for the most part i find that type of person very easy to weed out and not deal with when you take their personality temperature on initial contact .

Not sure if it's me or the "twitter" generation.
I had Thursday off due to snow, and was searching Craigslist for deals on tools, etc.
A few folks responded via e-mail but appear to have trouble providing an address.
I understand that a seller would want a full name and phone number before giving out their address, but if they don't call or e-mail an address, it's really hard to stop by and actually pick up an item.
Two of the last three folks I contacted used a smart phone to get back to me. I get answers like "afternoon would be fine", but no address. I respond with "still need your address", and get "I'll be there from..."
Is the snow making people crazy?

Hi TomKro,
Sadly, it's the times that are making people crazy. you can't discount the intentions of some.
I don't sell much on CL because that's not how Tool Hoarding works....:grin:
i have bought more stuff than ever sold.
i generally want to speak to the individual on the phone before buying anything from them.
not that i'm gifted in any way, but i generally know if i like someone in the first few minutes of talking.
i'm not suggesting being unsafe in any way, but my overall experience has been great.
most of the people i've dealt with are regular folks just trying to pay bills or sell someone's stuff who has passed on from this life.
I have had a couple people that were extremely cautious in dealing with me, i can't blame them.
i have taken their precautions with respect and made reassurances that i am a stand up guy and do what i say i'm going to do and have no intentions of wasting anyones time or money. That being said, in the rare occurrence that there is any question ,- i'll decline the deal.
Happy Hunting!:)

What burns me is the idiots on Face Book post a crappy picture of something take with cell phone and you can't tell what it is.
Only info is for sale. Never tell what it is, year, make or model! Then everyone comments guessing what it is and play 20 questions finding out basic info.
Then we complain they can never sell anything!
One of my pet peeves!

I've never had a selling or buying problem thats unique to craigs list. Back in the day, I would advertise things for sale on other various print classifieds with pretty much the same cross section of people. Some are just tire kickers, some make you a blind, low-ball offer without ever coming by to look at the item, some that make an appt and never show. On the other side there are people that don't answer the phone or return phone calls or email messages. I guess its all just part of the territory when dealing with the general public.

As far as trusting people goes, I'm not overly paranoid about some sort of bad thing happening. I think I'm a pretty good judge of character, even over the phone. If I have an inkling that something smells fishy I just end the conversation. I've been in business most of my life, I've developed a rather keen nose for sniffing out the B.S.

Went to buy something, the guy was doing a renovation and he ended up with a working toilet in his living room. Quite a lot of interesting people selling stuff.

Great deals can be had, kinda hard to get a lathe to a parking lot to sell.

Well, I'm feeling like quite the jerk.
Fellow selling the grinder sends an e-mail and asked me to call him last Sunday.
I call, but no answer. I leave a message and no reply.
I send an e-mail, and I'm all PO'd 'cause he doesn't call back.
At this point I really don't care about the grinder, just wondering what the heck is up.
He finally returns the e-mail.
He's been laid up with emergency knee surgery.
I guess I can wait for that grinder.

Back