Crashed my lathe twice today !!

Ooops, my mistake....I even went back to page one and thought I had confirmed.
I guess I need to slow down and read closer.

No shame in the crash, or the comments here.
We just want to understand this...and make sure your safe too.

-brino
I know.. I appreciate that.. was just trying to make light of it. I would be saying the same to someone else.
But I do think it is related to what John York said. It's a design flaw. That and the screw. But I don't think there's enough metal, it's thin, and not well supported. There should have been ribs where there were no screws, or a more box like support.

I think of trepanning as parting on the end (face) rather than on the OD in classic parting. Does take a different tool to deal with the circular kerf
The tool must be relieved to accommodate the radius of the kerf. This tool uses a small parting blade canted at an angle. It's not a pleasant process.

The first crash was my 4 jaw had the jaws reversed so the longer end was stick out and during trepanning I had a small stick out.. While moving in, the jaws started hitting my cross slide ear. The SB has ears to lock the compound. The damage was not too severe

Ahh, I inherited a chewed up set screw on my lathe but never really grasped what may have caused it until I read your post. I just made a replacement recently but maybe I should have left it as a reminder!

P1080178013.jpg

P1080179014.jpg

Ahh, I inherited a chewed up set screw on my lathe but never really grasped what may have caused it until I read your post. I just made a replacement recently but maybe I should have left it as a reminder!

View attachment 387412

View attachment 387413
unfortunately I have a more permanent reminder :( .
I have another cross slide, it's for my taper attachment, but it's a basket case, it was brazed up, the guy I bought it from broke it either when it was shipped to him, or he dropped it on the floor and broke off the taper part. And all of the grub screws were stripped.
I made a mistake sending it to the guy that welded my brake, I told him to fill it with braze and he filled it with nickel rod, and a bb landed on the non gib side, it was impossible to remove.. well not impossible, but difficult. Anyway, turns out the nickel fill is impossible to tap, and his weld is cracked in a few areas.. Sooooo debating what my options are for the taper attachment.. I regret buying it from that guy. May replace it with an mlatoolbox cross slide with the taper attachment http://mlatoolbox.com/S-4382.html

You're lucky it was only a set-screw. Many carriages and compounds have similar scars.

unfortunately I have a more permanent reminder :( .
I have another cross slide, it's for my taper attachment, but it's a basket case, it was brazed up, the guy I bought it from broke it either when it was shipped to him, or he dropped it on the floor and broke off the taper part. And all of the grub screws were stripped.
I made a mistake sending it to the guy that welded my brake, I told him to fill it with braze and he filled it with nickel rod, and a bb landed on the non gib side, it was impossible to remove.. well not impossible, but difficult. Anyway, turns out the nickel fill is impossible to tap, and his weld is cracked in a few areas.. Sooooo debating what my options are for the taper attachment.. I regret buying it from that guy. May replace it with an mlatoolbox cross slide with the taper attachment http://mlatoolbox.com/S-4382.html
I didn't know that anyone was making parts like this for our lathes! That cross slide looks like a no brainer. Is there a lot of work to get it useful? Like scraping and machining?

Edit: just read further and I see that it is a project part! lol

You're lucky it was only a set-screw. Many carriages and compounds have similar scars.
I have some of that too but couldn't visualize the amount of stickout or scenarios to get to that screw way down there!

I didn't know that anyone was making parts like this for our lathes! That cross slide looks like a no brainer. Is there a lot of work to get it useful? Like scraping and machining?

Edit: just read further and I see that it is a project part! lol
yes, but it gives you some nice options for using the cross slide to mount a part and have a long boring bar.. granted on a nine inch lathe, not many options... not like a bigger 14 inch lathe..
And yea, when I got the lathe I wanted to do it, but without a mill it was going to be difficult. Now it's easier.. I don't think I will scrape it, I don't have that ability to do a good job. I have watched others and can add some flaking (ugly but good enough for oil)... I don't have a straight edge or the right scrapers.

I do have a surface grinder, so I can get close. I will need to make an angle dresser for the grinder.

Back