Crashed my lathe twice today !!

Not being familiar with the term trepan, I looked it up.
This is Hieronymus Bosch’s depiction of trepanning.
I wouldn’t want to be the poor bastard in the chair when the guy with the funnel on his head does ‘trepanning” on him.
YMMV, cheers, Harvey
trepanning is when you remove a disc from a disk without losing most of the material, you only lose the material in the kerf. So lets say you had a large piece of round, and needed just a large ring.. you remove the inner chunk and wind up with your ring, and another smaller round.. not boring it, where you lose the material. If this doesn't make sense, I'll see if I can find you a video.

I think of trepanning as parting on the end (face) rather than on the OD in classic parting. Does take a different tool to deal with the circular kerf

Things on e bay seem to come along in cycles feast and then famine. I do have one of those Atlas chucks that I sold on e bay, but was returned to me, the threads in the slots are missing some threads at the OD of the chuck, if it would help you in the interim until you can find a better chuck, it could be had cheaply. PM me if interested.

Things on e bay seem to come along in cycles feast and then famine. I do have one of those Atlas chucks that I sold on e bay, but was returned to me, the threads in the slots are missing some threads at the OD of the chuck, if it would help you in the interim until you can find a better chuck, it could be had cheaply. PM me if interested.
thanks, no. the cost to ship a needy chuck, makes it a non-starter at the moment.

I almost crashed my uncles lathe

I was facing with power feed

move the lever down it faces move it up it turns it down

it has ball detants

or was supose to

I went to push it up to neutral

there was no ball denant so it shifted to thread cutting

tool dug right in but I stopped it just in time before it crashed.

I went down last night before bed, I did a bunch of measuring. I inspected the chuck, carefully, I made sure that there were no cracks.

I have a nylon (I think) tipped hammer.. you know the type with a hard and soft rubber face. And gave it 2 whacks. 1 thou runout. Not sure how I managed that to get so close. It was too easy in my opinion. I left it like that, and went to bed feeling a little better, but knowing it might not be a good thing.

This morning I will see if I cracked it, I doubt it.. and I will mount a rod.. I will see if I can determine if that 1 thou needs to come out, because I am doubtful that I will be able to reset to 0...

It maybe that the chuck is a flawed design, in that the 2 whacks were not hard. I have always fought a little with this chuck, but just never knew what the problem was. It's been good to me otherwise. I'll be looking around..

This issue is not done..

I've learned that on days where a big screw up or crash happens, one just needs to shut the lights off and go do something else for the afternoon. My biggest screw-ups have always come on the coattails of a smaller one. Gets your head out of the place it needs to be and sets you up for disaster. Thankfully this is a hobby and we have that luxury.

Sorry to head about your lathe, chuck, and part. Hopefully they can all be fixed up. A new chuck is not the end of the world. A new decent quality import 6" 4J chuck would run ~$150 plus the effort to make a new backplate. A bit insulting to the ego, but far from the worst you could have done.

I've learned that on days where a big screw up or crash happens, one just needs to shut the lights off and go do something else for the afternoon. My biggest screw-ups have always come on the coattails of a smaller one. Gets your head out of the place it needs to be and sets you up for disaster. Thankfully this is a hobby and we have that luxury.

Sorry to head about your lathe, chuck, and part. Hopefully they can all be fixed up. A new chuck is not the end of the world. A new decent quality import 6" 4J chuck would run ~$150 plus the effort to make a new backplate. A bit insulting to the ego, but far from the worst you could have done.
This is so true. It seems kinda like a golf shot, when it goes schwangle it just keeps on going. It has taken a lot of discipline to let it go for a while when this happens. This is totally opposite form how I spent my life when I couldn’t let it go but had to go harder for the job.
I‘m really glad you didn’t get hurt Woodchucker. As heartbreaking as messing up a tool is, hurting yourself is a true disaster.

Last edited:
Back