Crashed my lathe twice today !!

Well, the 4 jaw is useable. So I plodded on. Had to clean up the part to continue. turned it, bored it for a homemade expanding mandrel so I could continue cleaning it up. then reloaded it in the 4 jaw and finished boring it and then relieving the inner hub. Because I lost so much cleaning up the crash it was no longer thick enough to seat the thinnest wheel I have. it was off by a little, I had made new blotters using cardboard, so I loaded a thicker one.. it did the trick... so overall a nick in the ear of the cross slide... I feel better that it's useable.

damn, that hurt my pride more.
20211203_123735.jpg20211203_133835.jpg20211203_140949.jpg20211203_153304.jpg20211203_153931.jpg

20211203_153950.jpg

You had better check that chuck very carefully. If it had .010" runout on the face, after the crash, then .001" runout after some moderate blows from a soft faced hammer, something is broken.

I would hate to read about the chuck busting free.

You had better check that chuck very carefully. If it had .010" runout on the face, after the crash, then .001" runout after some moderate blows from a soft faced hammer, something is broken.

I would hate to read about the chuck busting free.
I have checked I would have to remove the paint that is on the back to see more detail. From what I see from the front and the ribs it looks ok.
I'll think about it. At this point I'm thinking of sidelining it for another 4 jaw. If you saw the details of this chuck, there's not a lot of metal in it.
Think I'll take a pic later.

I have no personal knowledge of the 6" Atlas 4 jaw but I assumed the body is made of cast iron. Is it made of cast iron?

Even if it's malleable cast iron, changing the runout from .010" to .001" with some blows from a soft hammer seems unreasonable to me.

If the chuck body is made of some non-ferrous material . . . :eek:

Yep, a real close and intimate inspection of that chuck is in order.

I was going to ask if the crash could have mangled the scroll at that jaw position..... but that would not affect the OD or face of the chuck.

Hmmmm, there something going on that we don't understand.
Therefore it's tough to trust it......

But I know Jeff will prevail!

-brino

Yep, a real close and intimate inspection of that chuck is in order.

I was going to ask if the crash could have mangled the scroll at that jaw position..... but that would not affect the OD or face of the chuck.

Hmmmm, there something going on that we don't understand.
Therefore it's tough to trust it......

But I know Jeff will prevail!

-brino
no scroll , this is an independent 4 jaw.

You guys are going to shame me into stripping the paint off the back... I kind of agree, it's suspect...

Last edited:
You guys are going to shame me into stripping the paint of the back... I kind of agree, it's suspect...
I hate to pile on the shaming you bandwagon, but I the story you have painted makes me feel obliged to do so. Something just ain't right. Please make sure this doesn't turn into a third disaster. Three strikes ...

So here's what this chuck looks like with paint.
you can see how little cast iron there is in this. Those ribs are where the screws for the jaws go.
These screws are not locked in place like other 4 jaws. They travel with the jaw.

So if I strip the paint down, it will be after the holidays. I have to build a Sideboard from my son and daughter in law. So I'll get that done first. I have so many projects in the queue right now. I try to only have 3 open at a time, otherwise I never finish. By that time I may already have a new to me 4 jaw.
20211203_174624.jpg20211203_174942.jpg20211203_174922.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to pile on the shaming you bandwagon, but I the story you have painted makes me feel obliged to do so. Something just ain't right. Please make sure this doesn't turn into a third disaster. Three strikes ...
I guess it's Clint Eastwood... "you’ve gotta ask yourself one question: “Do I feel lucky?” Well, do ya, punk?”

no scroll , this is an independent 4 jaw.
Ooops, my mistake....I even went back to page one and thought I had confirmed.
I guess I need to slow down and read closer.

You guys are going to shame me into stripping the paint off the back... I kind of agree, it's suspect...
No shame in the crash, or the comments here.
We just want to understand this...and make sure your safe too.

-brino

Back