Criterion boring head woes

I was cleaning my new-to-me Criterion boring head and I discovered that two of the three gib screws were completely mangled. I managed to extract one by tapping a hex wrench into the head of the screw.
The other I had to drill out and use a Proto screw extractor to remove.
Now I need two replacements and two tiny ball bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you bought this on eBay, it be the one I got and sent back because of the screws and bbs were messed up. I didn't know how or want to deal with it.

If you bought this on eBay, it be the one I got and sent back because of the screws and bbs were messed up. I didn't know how or want to deal with it.
Was it a 1/2" shank with a set of boring bars?

I think it was 3/4" shank. No boring bars. Probably a different one.

One screw was badly damaged and I couldn't figure out how to deal with it.

David,
Take your time, do it right and you saved a ton of money.
Those are very good quality.

Thanks Jeff!
Just measured the set screws: 3/16" D x 5/16"L.

So probably 10-24's or 10-32's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

second the bike shop avenue for the ball bearings. That sounds like either a clipless pedal bearing size or maybe a headset. If I wasn't being completely lazy I'd get my ar$e off the couch and go measure a couple for you. But the garage is hot and the couch is comfy :)

second the bike shop avenue for the ball bearings. That sounds like either a clipless pedal bearing size or maybe a headset. If I wasn't being completely lazy I'd get my ar$e off the couch and go measure a couple for you. But the garage is hot and the couch is comfy :)

24 TPI in fact.
(I forgot that I measured the pitch )

Last edited:
What size of bearing?
I have quite a few and can send you some, if you can't find any. ( I bought a bunch for making spinning tops )
I'm next door in Alberta so shipping should be relatively quick.
These are the sizes I have - 1/8", 5/32", 3/16" 7/32" and 1/4"

I just measured it and it’s 1/8”.

Back