Crooked Bandsaw Blades

I purchased several Starrett bandsaw blades and all of them wore out in a fraction of the time my old craftsman blades lasted but I can't find those craftsman blades anymore. Bandsaw blades it seems to me are one area where Starrett doesn't live up to its name. Thoroughly disappointed. (Yes I know how select TPI based based on material and thickness and how fast to cut, the blades just suck)

which blades did you buy from Starrett, they have so many different grades, for different metals?

It's crooked in the other plane. i.e. it moves front to back as the weld passes. I could cut it out and redo it.
Just hit it harder.

Kidding, I made a jig years back for braising to hold the blade straight.

which blades did you buy from Starrett, they have so many different grades, for different metals?
Starrett Intenss PRO-DIE Bi-Metal Band Saw Blade - 99080-06-08 https://a.co/d/ivhjnD5

Used them to cut steel DIN rail and 2mm aluminum plate. None of them lasted an hour of cutting time before the teeth were rounded over and broken off.

din rail is pretty thin. I probably would have used a high count tpi.. 10-14 is too coarse, 18 is too coarse, you need 3 teeth embedded.
you will ruin a blade cutting thin stock if the tpi is low. Unfortunately, Starrett's website sucks looking for TPI.

Starrett Intenss PRO-DIE Bi-Metal Band Saw Blade - 99080-06-08 https://a.co/d/ivhjnD5

Used them to cut steel DIN rail and 2mm aluminum plate. None of them lasted an hour of cutting time before the teeth were rounded over and broken off.
I wouldn't have picked that blade for this job.

Cutting thin metal I would have used something cheaper and blue in color.

While the blade you picked sounds good, it has very hard teeth, and hard = fragile for thin material. You would get great life cutting thick steel, but for thin material you want a plane jane blue back saw blade.

Also, what speed are you running this at?

I can look tomorrow and see what our Starrett blade we use for jobs like this is called if you like.

The main way I have trashed blades is by cutting thin metal and ripping off teeth. I'm just too lazy to change blades. The need to make a variable tooth blade just like variable speed. Maybe a knob that you can turn to change the TPI from 8-24...;)

Back