Curious to your thoughts . Please keep this un-political as per the forum rules .

Finally, I'm struck that this is completely a male discussion--writers, role models, boys. The nursing and business classes are filled with girls intent on securing steady jobs. I see this every spring when the paper runs pictures of the graduating classes. I have to admit I don't know what's going on here.

The reality is most trades have been dominated by males. In all the years I worked in an Engineering department there were very few women in the profession. In more recent years there were as many as 6 women in our department of 80+ positions. Visiting our local UW campus I now see as many if not more female engineering students than males. I am also now seeing more female welders, and plumbers, but in our area the millwright and machinist trades still seem to be male dominated.

As an FYI fortunately things are changing. In recent months we've unfortunately had a few visits to emergency rooms, and veterinary hospitals. Contrary to tradition we've seen far more female veterinary instructors, surgeons, and students than males. Our observation has been that less than 30% of the staff and students are male. On the other hand we've seen a huge influx of male nurses in hospitals. On our recent visits more than half the nurses were male.

I live south of Baltimore, Maryland. After I read this post this morning I just happen to see that a teacher from a local school called Center for Applied Technology North (otherwise known as CAT) had won an award. I went to their website to see everything they offer, which is encouraging. Check out their site:

They also list other carer colleges and technical schools:

Dan . Very glad to see Earl Beck up and running . They came into our company back in the 90s and certified all mechanics/machinists in welding .

You would think newly arrived people would be rushing to Vermont- other countries don't seem to have an attitude about working in factories
MS

Back