Cut My First Gear

jocat54

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to cut some 1.5 mm threads on my SB9a and read some where that if you use a 26 tooth stud gear you could get really close.
So I set about trying to figure out how to cut a gear with the stuff I have. Here are the results below. It's not real pretty but hoping it works. Haven't tried it out yet.
The first one did not work out--my index wheel was off.photo1.JPGphoto2.JPGphoto3.JPG

photo1.JPG photo2.JPG photo3.JPG

I like it. Good use of available tooling.

A couple of suggestions. I'd move the shaft a bit further into the vise. Leave just enough room against the vise so the cutter doesn't hit it. That will make it stiffer to cut down on chatter. The shaft will still be stiff enough to index the teeth.

If you have collets available, they would be safer than a drill chuck for holding your gear cutter. Side load on a drill chuck can sometimes cause it to separate from the adapter.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Hawkeye, all good points.

I do have collets to fit the tool--I had just finished drilling another index wheel and this was a mock up of how I did it.

I guess I could have moved the vise and gotten closer to end of the shaft---but was lazy:))

I like it. Good use of available tooling.

A couple of suggestions. I'd move the shaft a bit further into the vise. Leave just enough room against the vise so the cutter doesn't hit it. That will make it stiffer to cut down on chatter. The shaft will still be stiff enough to index the teeth.

If you have collets available, they would be safer than a drill chuck for holding your gear cutter. Side load on a drill chuck can sometimes cause it to separate from the adapter.

Keep up the good work.

Just a quick update: I installed the 26 tooth gear on the stud position and it cut 1.5mm threads. At least close enough for what I needed to do. The gear worked well with no noise.

Will probably be making some more gears in the future (with better index wheels-not wood:)))

Back